Corsair Community

HX620W making poping noise when switched on at the back?

life_is_mad

:sigh!: Hello

My Hx620w make a poping noise like it has just blowing when i switch my pc on at the mains then switch the back on next to the powercable? I switch my pc off every nite at wall then when switch it on like 8 hours between i use it sometimes it will make a pop noise like it has blown but dosnt blow???

Plz help!!!

p.s anyone having same problem?

I have been having the exact same experience -

I got my first HX620 in July 2007 - I noticed that maybe every 2 or 3 times I switched on either at the back or from the AC wall socket, it would give a loud 'crack' or 'pop'. This PSU died with a loud bang after 2 months (not during startup, but after maybe an hour on).

I got a replacement through the retailer, and this HX620 also made the same worrying noise, with somewhat less frequency but just as noticeable when it happened.

This one died a couple of days ago, without any noise - just a brief flicker of the LEDs on the PC case, then nothing.

I have already contacted the retailer and they have sent an RMA, so it's going back to them once again.

When I removed the PSU from the case, a small piece (maybe .5cm) of grey wire insulation fell out - it was charred and damaged at one end.

Why the noise on power up? Have I just been unlucky and this is something that has been resolved? I was going to order another one as a standby (since it can take several weeks from return to replacement and I need my PC) but I'm kind of worried it'll be the same.

I always switch off the AC supply when I'm finished work or going out, now I've started to dread something going bang expensively every time I turn it on!

So, is an electrical popping noise when switching the power on 'normal' or not?

It sounds like something arcing (which isn't reassuring, especially after the burnt piece of insulation fell out) or like a thermal fuse blowing (though it couldn't be).

When I get the latest replacement, should I assume there is a problem if I still get the same sound sometimes?

• Corsair Employee
The sound is not normal, but since you have had the same problem with multiple units I would suspect that something else may be causing the issue. You may want to test with a different surge protector, or try plugging the unit directly into the wall outlet to see if you still have the same problems.

Hey

Iv have tried all off that changed my surge protector and changed wall socket and plus different power cable from psu to surge protector and even direct plugged into the wall socket still the same problem?

When i turned my psu on once a hard black bit came out of it which looked like a small stone black and green from the psu! :sigh!:

I have returned my psu through RMA and hopefully the new one has solved the problem but this only happens like every 9 months because this is my third return to RMA!

Bit weired?? :sigh!:

Thanks

• Corsair Employee
That is quite strange. To have 3 PSUs fail in the same way would usually indicate that there is some other problem, it is very rare to even have a single unit fail let alone 3 that would fail in the same way. If you still have the same problem with a replacement you may want to contact the motherboard manufacturer to see if they can help you rule out a motherboard problem.

I got my replacement 620, and have had it in my PC for 24hrs now. After maybe 5 or 6 (nervous!) power-ons, no 'pop' (or BANG!) yet.

I don't know if it's relevant, but the power switch on the PSU has a different 'feel' to it, it's definitely a different switch if nothing else.

If I make it to a week without any weird noises I'll relax ;)

Archived