Corsair Community

Failed TWIN2X4096-8500C5D G stick

rdv

I have a RMA situation with my memory TWIN2X4096-8500C5D G sticks. I have successfully used these sticks in my Rampage Formula for almost a month, my system froze. After running memtest86+ (Legacy USB is disabled) one of the sticks had many errors.

This computer runs fine with the alternate manufacturers memory. I am typing this message on the Rampage Formula PC.

I want to check off the RMA box that I consulted tech support. Do you support me RMAing these memory sticks?

Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

Thanks for the quick response. Although I am concerned about your companies quality control. This is the second set of memory I have had to RMA (my original 2x2048 dominators). I have had PC's since my IBM PC back in 1981 and this is the first and now second time that memory has failed.

At least your RMA process works but it will cost me another $25 CDN for shipping the modules back to Corsair. That is $50 wasted in my opinion.

That may suggest some other problem, ...

The set that were replaced have been running fine since February (TWIN2x2048's). The original TWIN2x2048's were purchased in June 2008 and failed end of December 2008. This new set that just failed are only a month and two days old (TWIN2x4096's). The 6Gb total memory worked great over the month plus two days. The remaining 2Gb are working great as I type right now.

BIOS settings for the Dominator memory (2.1v, DDR2-1066, 5-5-5-15 ... etc)

My HW profile reflects that two different sets of Dominators.

• Corsair Employee
With that many modules failing over time would suggest there may be a problem with the MB, and with two sets of memory the memory frequency should be set to DDR667 or DDR800, Did you test those modules by them selves and reset the BIOS settings?

Are the modules the same version? if so then that is not so important but if they are different versions you would really need to reset the BIOS to test them properly.

I am not sure what you mean by "versions" so what should the BIOS settings be for a combination of 4 memory sticks for a total of 6Gb memory on a:

MOBO: Asus Rampage Formula - BIOS v701

CPU: Intel Quad Q9450 @2.66GHz

Memory: TWIN2x2048-8500C5D G and TWIN2x4096-8500C5D G Corsair Dominator

I had followed the recommended settings I found on posts made in this forum.

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived