Corsair Community

New 650TX may have problem - system not starting

nicksterbixter

Hi, I recently purchased a new motherboard, video card, and power supply for my computer. When I first installed everything, I booted up the computer several times and it was just fine. Then, I allowed windows to boot, and it started just fine, but after about ten minutes my computer just shut off. It will only restart if I unplug the power supply and plug it back in and it only stays on for a split second. The lights come one and the fans spin once or twice and then it shuts down. I have no idea what the problem may be, I just assumed it would be something with the power supply because the computer won't start at all really anymore. I thought that maybe my new MB is short circuiting or something, but the computer ran just fine for ten minutes before there were any problems. What could be causing this to occur and what should I do to fix it? Thanks!

And I forgot to mention that if the power supply remains plugged in after attempting to turn it on, then any additional time that I attempt to turn it on, it does absolutely nothing. The only way to even get the flicker of the lights is by unplugging the unit, flipping the I/O switch, then plugging it back in.

Ok, so I did a bit further testing to help narrow down the problem. I hooked up my power supply to an old motherboard with nothing connected and it powered up just fine. The lights on the motherboard came on and the power supply fan came on as well. Then I connected it to my new motherboard with nothing attached but the CPU and the same earlier problem occured where the lights flickered then nothing. So I disconnected that CPU and tried it again on the new motherboard, and it came on and worked.

This led me to believe that my CPU was the culprit. So, I attatched an old CPU, but the motherboard failed to start up again. Flicker of lights, then nothing. Next, I attached my old CPU to my old motherboard, and it powered up. So I'm guessing its some sort of a problem with the new motherboard when a CPU is connected. Before I send it in for a replacement, I would just like to ask your opinion on whether this is a problem with my new motherboard or my power supply.

Archived