Corsair Community

May have a porbelm with my TX850?

Tribbs

Well its like this I have noticed that when I boot into windows that after a few minutes the system will completely lock down, no keboard functions will work, but the strange part is that I can usually still move my mouse around and if i right click I will get the loading ring but nothing else and at that point it will stop letting me move the mouse.

So I emailed EVGA customer support who said that this may be an issue with the cpu so I pulled the processor out to check for any physical damage as I don't have another 300$ to blow on a processor and I found no bent pins or anything amiss on the socket or the cpu, but lately I have just been leaving my system unplugged when it is off and I have noticed that it no longer will lock up in the begining but will if I leave it plugged in, so currently I am running on one of my older psu's and have ran through a bunch of restarts and going straight into some prime ans so far no lockups

so could this be a psu issue, or if anyone else has any ideas please let me know, and thanks for any help.

Sorry if I missed it but, did you state what set of RAM slots you have the memory in? Check the manual and see if you have them in the correct slots.

Also, I have seen this type of behavior with a failing HD so you may want to run your HD manufacturers diagnostics on the drive.

I assume this is a clean install of the OS?

well the ram is in the correct slots that the manual specifies I thought It might be the harddrive but so far have no issues with it I bought it new with all the other components

it is currently a clean install of vista I have tried vista, and win 7 and get the same problem

the weirdest thing I have noticed is that it only seems to happen when in windows, I can run multiple passes of memtest and be fine, exit abd boot into windows and I get lockups.

Well at this point it seems to be the power supply as I have been running with my older one for the past 2 days and seen no lockups (while trying)

I don't know if its this single unit or if it is an incompatibility with any of the components in my system, but I also don't know if I will be able to RMA the unit as I don't have the original packaging, except for the manual and the nice bag.

but the power supply has been running my second system without a problem although it draws a lot less power.

ok it may not be the psu this moring after browsing the web for awhile I went and took a shower and came back to a lockup

so could this be the cpu? I have no Idea any help would be great

yea the components right now that look like they might be the culprits are the cpu, and i just ordered another 920 with DO stepping, i dont know if there could be a short or something in the case case causing it, usually when that happens the entire pc will shut off wont it?

well I have un-done the back of the case but the only time I have been seeing lockups for some time is when i try to download/ install World of warcraft, can play hours of cod 4 but when that installer goes it will lock up in about 10 min. tried it in safe mode, got the same thing but it took about 25 min to lock up

Archived