Corsair Community

bios settings for Asus P5Q Pro TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF

oldude

After setting the recommended 2.1v for the DRAM settings and also setting the correct RAM frequency settings, I still get the BSOD when windows xp tries to boot, resulting in the pc trying to boot up again. I have installed the latest BIOS for this board, but no help.

Try bumping the memory controller voltage just a bit. 1-3 steps above the stock setting should do it.

No, not the DRAM voltage. When you increase memory over the stock speed, the memory controller speed is increased. In some cases, the memory controller needs a bit of extra voltage to do this.

I hate to sound like such a newbie, but could the memory controller voltage be listed under a different description in my BIOS?

Everyone is a newb at some point. No worries :sunglasse

On Intel boards, the memory controller is also referred to as the north bridge. See section 3.4.15, page 3-21 in your manual. You should easily be safe with up to 1.4v on this board but, you should not need nearly that much. I would suggest starting at stock and working up in 1 or 2 step increments from there and test for stability.

Tried increasing the NB voltage as you suggested with everything set to auto with and without the DRAM frequency at auto and with the DDR2-1066mhz settings to no avail. I kept the DRAM voltage at 2.1v with all attempts.

This story is a bit complicated. This was a new build that I had encountered this problem before and after much frustration, I let a good friend fix the problem. It worked fine until I tried to install an additional HD and somehow corrupted the BIOS. I had no recourse but to flash the BIOS and lose the correct settings. I really hate to trouble my friend again with this problem, so I'm turning to your help. And no, there is no change with 800mhz settings.

I could try a reformat, but I really don't think that is the problem. This is essentially the same symptoms I had with a fresh WinXP install. You suggested running at the DDR2-800mhz setting which I did with the 2.1v DRAM voltage and the NB voltage at 1.3volts. Any other suggestions?

Tested with memtest one stick at a time with no errors on either one. BIOS settings were for DDR2-1066mhz with DRAM voltage at 2.1 and NB voltage at 1.3.

I don't have access to any other machines that will accept this RAM.

I tried memtest with all auto settings at 2.0v for the DRAM settings one stick at a time with no errors. I also tried DDR2-1066mhz settings with 2.1 volts for the DRAM voltage and 1.3v for the NB one stick at a time also with no errors.

What happens in D/C what test do you get errors on and what slots do you have the modules in?

Since you have run stable in dual channel with the settings in the post above, have you tried the OS again?

And what slots do you have the memory in?

I can get the pc to boot in safe mode, but otherwise I get a fraction of a second blue screen and then reboot. Slots 1&3 are supposed to be correct for D/C on the mb, which is where I have them.

Archived