Corsair Community

Asus P5N-E + CM2X1024-6400/C4

gommer

I've read quite a bit about this memory and motherboard combination.

I've got two sets of memory:

4x CM2X1024-6400

4x CM2X1024-6400C4

And a third set of Corsair ValueSELECT, 4x 1GB sticks.

I purchased the CM2X1024-6400 about a year ago. It didn't work in the system. I purchased it thinking it was the same thing as the CM2X1024-6400C4, since it was on the mobo's QVL.

Well, when it didn't work - I decided I'd eat it - must have been my fault for not looking REALLY close at the part number. I spent a few weeks running every configuration possible trying to get it to work and run through memtest. Never was successful.

So I waited until I had another $100 to throw at my PC for an upgrade.

Got some cash ahead and decided to do the upgrade, so a month ago I purchased the CM2X1024-6400C4, as is listed as a tested part on the QVL for the Asus P5N-E 650i - and shows it works with all four dimm slots filled.

I've also tried every configuration I've read on these forums, and elsewhere - but can not get past post even.

I can not believe that I seriously have 8GB of bad memory - and the system runs fine with 4GB of ValueSELECT in all four dimms.

I put the memory in my second computer - but did not run memtest on there - the system did post but eventually would BSOD. (30mins-1hr) That system doesn't list this as QVL memory so I didn't think much of it beyond that at least the memory *CAN* work.

The CM2X1024-6400 was installed as:

Voltage: 1.92

5-5-5-12 (As is listed on the part)

And many, many other suggested things. Linking, unlinking. Underclocking. NB Core Voltage +.05, the list goes on.

Fails. Does not get past post.

The CM2X1024-6400C4 was installed as:

Voltage: 2.085 & 2.17 & up to 3.35 (all failed)

4-4-4-12

tRC: 24

tWTR: 15 & auto

This memory actually will not even post with all four dimms filled.

I also tried dozens of other things - as with the previous memory.

Eventually I got a solid bios tone (hardware error) from one of the sticks - I'm sure from the dozens (if not hundreds) of times they've been pulled in and out testing every setting possible.

At this point, I'm infuriated. I've got 8GB of memory that won't work and I'm looking for a solution.

I've spent countless hours fiddling with this, trying to make these work together. From what I've read on here and on the internet - it's luck of the draw whether or not this MB + these memory modules will work together.

What do I need to do to get either these to work or parts that will? I'm at the end of my rope here - I'm astonished I haven't damaged my motherboard trying all of this to get these memory modules to work.

• Corsair Employees

If you want to run 8 gig the part number that you would need to get is Q2X8G6400C4DHX sorry but mixing memory is just not supported. I would talk to the reseller and see if they will let you send the modules you just got back them get the correct part. If they will not or cannot help you can can call our customer service and see what they say. But normally we do not switch part numbers.

And I have posted this many times about mixing Twin sets, sorry!

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Nope, you misunderstood.

I wanted to run just 4 gig. The motherboard doesn't have 8 slots.

I tried one set of 4, it didn't work. Bought *another* set of 4 that were C4, still didn't work.

Gave up, just bought a new mobo (P5E3) - sick of trying to deal with the computability issues associated with the P5N-E.

Thanks for the help anyway, I'll let you know if I have issues with the memory on the new MB. :P

To clarify: Did you purchase a QUAD pack of memory, or TWO TWIN2X packs of memory?

Also: Q2X8G6400C4DHX is a pack of 4 sticks, each being 2 GB in size.

Ultimately, what are you trying to do, use 4 GB of memory on this system? If so, get a TWIN2X4096-XXXXX pack (assuming you can return your most recent purchase). 2 sticks @ 2 GB each. It'll make your life a LOT simpler :)

Guaranteed-Compatible Memory for your Asus P5N-E SLI

Archived