Corsair Community

Cmfssd-64n1 @ ahci

Lena

Hi,

I recently switched my system to AHCI (driver integrated to XP Install CD) and want to use CMFSSD-64N1. Is there a known problem(chipset MCP78U)? Shall I turn back to SATA IDE mode? I read about some software problems, I just wanna know if the hardware can handle AHCI.

Besides another question: Is there a need of alignment like on SSD´s from other fabricators or is it just like install&have fun?

Regards, Lena

Unless you intend to configure raid in the OS and unlike or P256 SSD this drive does not support NCQ, there would be no benefit in using AHCI. On the other hand it would provide some inconvenience in XP since you have to load the storage controller drivers(for the motherboard) during initial install. In our lab testing we did not see any issues running in AHCI in laptops or desktops/motherboards.

All of or drives do not require any tweaking to achieve the performance we have stated.

Thanks for your quick response,

I do not want to use AHCI, because it maybe speeds up SSD, I need it for my two normal HDD´s(video editing). If I translated your post correct, you said, that mounting SSD after install initial XP with AHCI driver included will cause problems.

Lena

Ps: Sorry, my english is not the best.

• Corsair Employee

You will need to install the AHCI Driver during Installation of the O.S. So it may require you to do a fresh install is what I am getting out of what Legend Stated.

He also stated there is no performance difference in AHCI Mode.

Hi,

thanks for your explanation. I think I didn´t verbalize correct. I already have integrated AHCI driver in XP install disc and I do use AHCI now with my two HDD´s. I just wanna know if there will be any problem when I connect SSD to my existing system. If necessary I reinstall XP, no question about that. I think SSD will be much faster than HDD with AHCI, but I still wanna use AHCI for my HDD´s furthermore.

Besides, the SSD will be the operating disc and the HDD´s will storage and process data.

Lena

My point was:

1. You will need the storage controlled drivers(for motherboard) when installing XP to the SSD drive if AHCI is enabled.

2. You will not see any issues if the driver is installed with AHCI enabled. Whether the system is used as a primary(OS) or secondary drive.

Your main question was regarding if the hardware on the SSD is fully compatible with AHCI and the answer is YES :)

Hi,

thats what I meant.

I´m gonna buy one drive. Price/performance relation of 64GB Corsair SSD is much better than any other ssd at the moment in Austria.

Thanks a lot.

Lena

Hi,

of course there´s another one. I heard that I should move pagefile, Windows temp-folder and temporary internet files to another drive, because the number of write/read cycles will decrease lifetime of SSD.

Lena

• Corsair Employee
Well I dont know about that but I would expect SSD's to last as well as a HDD or actually a little better. I have had most of my HDD's in the last 4-5 Years die in the 3-5 year range and since there are no moving parts with SSD I do not think that will be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

AICH is always has supported NCQ and any extra ATA specs that are added (but only supported Nativity on vista and windows 7 XP needs drivers F5 floppy or integrated into the XP disk to even detect the drives)

RAID can support NCQ but can depend on chipset and drivers (any ICH7+ or most Nvidia chipsets, needs F5 for XP, Win vista and 7 do not need drivers norm)

IDE/SATA mode, supports NCQ sometimes once in windows and installed drivers (only seen it on Nvidia motherboards supporting NCQ) depends on drivers but norm i think it needs raid mode or AICH to support it

m64 no support (as far as i know as its the same as the s128 with less flash)

s128 no support (i have the drive)

p256 supports NCQ (see it from from pic in other pc sent to me the motherboard was in RAID mode (ICH 8) but none of the drives in the pc was in RAID 0 or 1 {he wants the option to use it later on})

if you are using windows vista or 7, AICH should be used as any new ATA specs come out later on it support it (like NCQ) and could improve system disk performance an little

(sorry about posting the links before other thread bit, was not to an SSD product thought blog?, was more info and still think it be an bad idea to defrag an SSD)

Archived