Corsair Community

Computer powers on then immediately shuts off

hypermog

Hi,

I built a computer in Janurary 2009. The computer worked great for 4 months. Ran Photoshop, Fallout 3, Red Alert 3, all fast. A few days ago, I'm using it, and it just shuts off. When I try to re-boot, the lights and fans come on for about 1/3 of a second, then shut off.

I have tried several things to isolate the problem, including disassembling the entire computer, dusting, and re-assembling. Same problem. I hooked up just the PSU, mobo, proc, Heatsink/Fan, and video card. Same problem.

At this point, I reset the CMOS and took it down to just the PSU, mobo, CPU and heatsink/fan to see if it would give me some kind of output, or at least stay on. Alas, it shuts off almost immediately (the fans all start to spin, just barely).

I did the 'paperclip test' on this page, and the PSU fan runs.

There is a blue LED on the mobo that is lit at all times (when the PSU is plugged in and switched to on position), for what its worth.

I don't have any other computer to try the PSU on, unfortunately :(: My last two comps were laptops and I have gotten rid of my other desktops.

It seems pretty clear that either the PSU, Motherboard, or CPU is bad. Anyone had a similar problem to this?

• Corsair Employees

Since you said that the fan in the PSU turns on and stays on when you do the paperclip test, I would suspect that the motherboard is giving the PSU a signal to power down, either because the motherboard is detecting a short somewhere, or there is a component that is running out of spec. It will be hard to isolate the problem with out swapping components around but if you would like to rule out the PSU we can try replacing it for you.

You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

You may want to first contact your motherboard manufacturer to see if they can help you rule out the motherboard as a possible cause.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I RMA'd the PSU and the Mobo, rebuilt the computer, it booted perfectly on the first try. I don't know which item was bad, but I noticed that the top-middle 12V modular connector is now in-line with the others... on my first one it was higher up than the two next to it, I just thought that was part of the design. I doubt that has anything to do with the problem though...

One thing I am worried about... when I go to shut the computer down, after windows says "shutting down", the computer sounds like it is trying to power off, but everything stays on. It doesn't happen every time, which is bizarre.

My fear is that the computer was doing this before the big problem occurred where it wouldn't boot at all. Not sure what to do at this point, though, I was extremely careful with all of the connections, I am sure everything is connected properly.

• Corsair Employees
If you just got a new board, then I would first make sure you have the latest BIOS available installed and then load setup defaults in the BIOS and see if you still have the same issues. The PSU is a pretty "dumb" component meaning that the motherboard tells it whether to be "on" or "off" so usually with a problem like this it could be caused by a bad BIOS flash or an outdated BIOS that is not properly relaying shutdown signals to the components. If possible you may want to test the PSU in a different system just to be 100% sure the PSU is not the cause of the shutdown issues.

• 4 weeks later...
Corsair RMA'd my PSU and I also RMA'd my mobo. I don't know which one was faulty, but my system is working flawlessly again. It's like it never happened. My computer shuts off properly now. I don't know if it was my PSU or not, but Corsair were good sports anyway, and I'm a happy customer. Thanks Corsair

Archived