Corsair Community

Need to RMA bad ram. Is it possible to upgrade to larger kit in process?

Hi, recently my computer started acting strange so I started diagnosing it. I suspected ram problems and ran memtest 86+ and in the second or third test it found errors on one block. I tried upping the voltage a little to see if it made any difference, but it didn't. I then put it back to default settings and tested each stick individually. One stick passed and the other failed. With the stick that failed I even tried to see if it would run at half it's rated speed. Still failed at exactly the same location.

The ram kit I have is XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB 2X1GB PC6400 DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-12

Anyways, I know the ram is bad, and since it is a dual channel kit, both modules will need to be sent back. My question is, would it be possible for me to pay the difference between a 2GB kit and a 4GB kit so that I could upgrade to 4GB? If so, how do I go about getting this set up? (I've heard about possible issues running 4 sticks of ram and this seems like it might be a good chance to upgrade if it's possible...)

Thanks

Archived