Corsair Community

Worried about the initial start........

kobwo

Ok, I just got done putting together my new rig. I spent quite a few dollors on it and I've never used water cooling. I'm worried about the lines and water block not having fluid in them for the initial power on. If I do as the directions say will the water block get fluid quick enough and with enough volume to begin cooling the processor? I've read that it could take as little as 10 seconds to damage a cpu without proper cooling. Obviously people have done it the way the dir state but I still have this nagging feeling about it. Kobwo

kobwo, Your not running an Intel Prescott are you? Those are hot processors. Overclockers.com has estimated that this processor, when overclocked, can hit a high 224W of heat! At that level, I too would be worried about flipping the power switch on and waiting for the HC to push the fluid through. Prescott or not, today's chips take a small amount of time to heat up. Mostly during the boot up time, the processor is just above idle temps when the OS is loading. On a positive note, when the HC is turned on for the first time, the pump pushes not only the coolant into the tubing, but where does all the air go? Well, the pump is pushing that through too. Thus, for that brief amount of time, the cold-block and other components are actually air cooling the processor. Not only that, but the cold-block is usually like a cool heat-sink atop of the processor for that initial start-up. If you still want to be safe, disconnect the MOBO power and boot up the system powering the HC. Then wait until all the coolant is circulated. Then power down reconnect the MOBO power and enjoy a water-cooling system. :): Hope this gives you some confidence. :sunglasse Stev

eva2000, Have you thought about OC'ing the Prescott? See Overclockers info on how hot those chips get. [url]http://www.overclockers.com/articles952[/url] Just the default voltage is rather interesting. The 4.6-5.0Ghz Prescott hits 145-159W respectively. This doesn't leave very much room to cool the chipsets of the GPU and NB/PCI-E. Not just for the HC, but also the Exos to cool. Then to overvoltage (overclock) by a mere 10%, the temps hit 192W. This hits the upper end of cooling for the HC just for that processor alone. I agree with the article as it states, "It's not much of an exaggeration to say that for serious overclockers, Prescott is like two processors in one: it will put out the heat of two processors." BUT still the processing of one processor. So, I'm glad that your at the lower end of the Prescott family of chips. You have room to grow with a cooling system. As for others moving forward, things will get HOTTER. :bigeyes: Stev

So just unplug the mobo then turn on the power and that will be OK? Will the power supply still power the HC card and provide the necessary power to the external unit if the mobo is unplugged? It's a 3.2c not the prescott. Thanks for all of your responses! Kobwo

Simpler yet ... leave your computer unplugged and power the Hydrocool from a remote power supply. Simply plug a power supply hard drive power connector into the mating Hydrocool PCI bracket socket and you're good to go. Any old power supply having a 4 pin HD connector with 12VDC & 5VDC will work. Good luck. KK

kobwo, If you connect your power switch between pin 14 (the green wire) on the ATX power connector to the MOBO and to any ground (black wire), then the PSU will turn on. When disconnected, the PSU will turn immediately off. See attached picture. :sunglasse You can use a paper-clip or needle nose pliers as a jumper. No, you will not get zapped. Pin 14 is at 5V. This is no different than holding the leads on a camp lantern 6V battery in your fingers. Just do not use your tongue. :laughing: And as a reminder, DO NOT let the paper clip or nose pliers touch anything on the MOBO or chassis of the computer. Electrical tape is a handy item to have too for covering the bare exposed metal. OR, do as Kooler King stated, run the HC from another computer PSU power plug to the PCI card to the HC while the OC'ed computer is powered off. Stev

• 3 months later...

Archived