Corsair Community

HX1000 2nd EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin for CPU.

minddead

I killed my MOBO today. I used the 2nd EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin for the 2nd CPU power intake (shown on the picture of the left, next to the 1st CPU power clip) on my EVGA X58 Classified. I guess this was a no no, because I saw sparks & smoke and I turned the PSU of!

Now, I can turn on the PSU and the lights on my MOBO light up, so I know it gets power. When I push the power button on my rig the lights on my Video cards light up for a second, and then nothing, won't boot. I fried it I am sure.

Another things I found strange is thats the 2nd EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin, had a blue end and a black plug end, like the PCI-E power cords. I guessed that it must mean to be plugged into the blue sockets on the PSU.

Here is where it shows that there r 2 EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin.

then click on the Resources tab.

Please help me!

rear-s.jpg.jpeg.00bd4b05013c82d95b74ab1b69c8c204.jpeg

• Corsair Employees

I would make sure that you have the modular 8pin EPS cable connected to the 12v1 port on the HX1000, just to be sure that both 8pin EPS cables are connected to the same 12v rail. If its on 12v2 then it may create a short, which should not damage anything, but it could prevent the system from booting. If it looks like the PSU has failed, then lets get it replaced.

You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

How do I know which component is fried?

I have another PSU I will try today, so I'll try to swap that out 1st. The computer won't boot with the 1 non modular CPU power cable plugged in. It doesn't need both, cause I and most ppl dont use the 2nd.

How would I know if the 2 cables are using the same rail? I used the non modular CPU power cable and the modular cable on the closest blue modular hookup to the non modular cables are coming out..

I just looked at the rail distribution sticky post. I think I hooked it up right, but I'll wait to hear from you to confirm.

Can a short, with smoke and sparks, damage the MOBO or the CPU?:confused:

• Corsair Employees
Sparks and smoke are not good (obviously) it could be anything that fried, it will be hard to find out for sure unless you can start swapping components with a different system for testing. There are protection circuits built into the PSU itself to hopefully prevent any damage to the system if the PSU were to fail, and most motherboards have similar features to prevent damage to the rest of your components, but anything is possible.

I just hooked up my other PSU with just 1 CPU power. The lights on the Video cards light up and held, but I got a short at the power intake to the CPU, smoke and a spark. WTF! I am just scared now! HELP

Ok, I took the whole thing part and on the back of the MOBO is a small burn mark.

I took this pict. here.

I wonder if I need to replace it? I wanted to take the whole thing apart to asses the problem. I thought maybe it was some thermal paste touching the wrong part or something.

I don't know what to do next? I dont' want to have sparks & smoke much more, I am afraid that it will do damage.

• Corsair Employees
I don't think anything you did caused the issues, if something were plugged in wrong it would likely just fail to power all the way up without causing any damage. It had to be a bad mobo or faulty PSU from the start. We will definitely want to replace the PSU for you and I would contact your motherboard manufacturer to see if they can replace the board for you.

Archived