Corsair Community

Low pitched electrical buzzing from Corsair HX620w

steveabraham

Hello,

I recently bought the above PSU and it's been fine for a week or two. Over the last couple of days however there's been a low electrical buzzing sound, reasonably loud, coming from the PSU. It's more clearly heard through the grill on the back of the PSU.

It's most noticable when scrolling up and down on webpages (really really annoying), but is also very loud when doing a Windows system performance scoring, and it's constant during that whole test, just changing in pitch occassionally.

I've tried the "buzzing" options from the stickies to no avail, but I don't think it's the same thing, this is a very low pitch - the kind of sound you'd get from rubbing two vinyl records together (best way I can describe it).

Is it best to arrange an RMA, or can anyone suggest anything to try?

Just spent 1000 pounds on a new system and gutted that it's not running spot on.

Thanks in advance!

~Steve.

• Corsair Employee

The buzzing is coming from a capacitor on the motherboard, video card or PSU. If possible I would see if you can swap the PSU or video card into a different system to try to narrow it down. If it looks like its the PSU then lets get it replaced!

Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Thanks!

I identified that it was in fact the PSU that was buzzing and I've been assigned an RMA number.

However I took it down to the Post Office today and it's going to cost over £30 to post it back to you since the nearest office seems to be in the Netherlands.

Is there any other way this can be done? £30 to send back a £100 PSU seems a lot...

Cheers!

Steve.

OK, I've got an update on this...

Today I purchased a vx450w from a local retailer so I could double check before returning the 620w.

Guess what - exactly the same buzz, though just every so slightly lower in volume...

I'm at a total loss, I have no idea at all now why two totally different PSUs from two entirely different suppliers would cause the same (more or less) buzzing noise from the PC.

Bearing in mind that the 620w was silent for the first week or so before it started. the 450w started buzzing the first time it was turned on.

Also, to reiterate, it's only really doing it whilst scrolling up and down webpages, or running the Windows system performance scoring (at least, that's the easiest way to 'recreate' it).

• Corsair Employee
Can you duplicate the same noises if you boot the system up in safe mode? Are you able to test the video card in a different system to see if it may be the video card causing the PSU to buzz?

Archived