Corsair Community

750TX power supply issue.

Varg

Hello,

I purchased a TX750w PSU to go along with a bfg GTX280 for the high amps on the single +v12 rail.

Since installing, I've had several shutdowns in the middle of idle and load situations. I've constantly checked HWMonitor after the initial shutdown thinking it was either a heat or voltage issue. Neither seemed to be the case due to subsequent shutdowns occurring under seemingly random times. First test I did was check the 24pin and 8pin connectors via ULTRAs psu tester

http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=105&pPath=436&productID=436

First thing that caught my eye was the -5v led wasn't on with the 24pin connector plugged in, I've reseated it multiple times to make sure and its off every time.

Any time I've seen shutdowns like this its always been the PSU, which is why I come here. Are there any other tests I should attempt in order to see what else could be the culprit or if I have a legit RMA claim? Thank you.

Edit: Did a little more digging about newer power-supplies and read that newer 24-pin connectors do not support -5v connections. So it seems that that is eliminated from the list of problems. With that, I'm even more perplexed by what other tests I could do in order to rule out the random shutdowns being contributed to the PSU.

Starfighter,

I ran prime95 for about an hour and a half after the latest shutdown with no problems. CPU temps were just over 60C and no other notable issues. I haven't ran memtest86 since I first put the machine together. I didn't put a lot of testing into the CPU or memory since they've been good for the last year or so when I originally put the rig together. Since the problem arose with the new videocard and PSU installed, I'd assume it would be one of the two.

Going to test the video card after work, going to swap the sli 9600s back in and see if I have any problems. if they last the weekend it would definitively be an issue with the 280.

• Corsair Employees

Testing with another graphics card is a good place to start, I would also run http://www.memtest.org just to be sure that there are no memory related problems. You may also want to make sure that you can duplicate the same issues in safe mode, just to rule out a software issue. One more thing to try if you have the option would be test the PSU in a different system and see if the problem follows the PSU.

If it looks like there is a good chance that replacing the PSU will resolve the problem then lets get it replaced! You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

If I may also suggest, check to see if there is a more recent BIOS for your motherboard, which perhaps better supports your new video card (if it doesn't already). And, check out the BIOS settings for the graphics card (like pcie-downstream pipeline settings etc, and play around with them to see if that helps with stability). I once had a similar problem as yours, and it was the BIOS settings that caused my computer to reboot like that. Just a thought.... :laughing:

Archived