Corsair Community

Asus P5Q Deluxe with 2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF

Dezzo

Hello everyone,

I've been reading endlessly about issues with ASUS P5Q Deluxe (and others) having issues running 8GB 1066 RAM when all 4 slots are filled, however I'm still not sure I understand the solution completely, and I'm hoping someone here can clarify a few things for me, and answer a few semi-related questions.

- With a P5Q Deluxe, running two TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF kits (8GB), I understand that downclocking the RAM from 1066 to 800 enables the system to run stabily and without issues. Is this correct?

- I have read that after you downclock the RAM from 1066 to 800, you can then overclock the CPU/FSB, which will have the effect of raising the RAM speed back up, so that you should be able to then get all 8GB of 1066 RAM running stabily at approximately 1000, despite having been earlier configured to 800. Is this correct?

- Other than clock/bus speeds, are there any other BIOS settings that should be changed in the above scenario?

- I have read many accounts of users with Dominator 8500 modules randomly going bad. Has this issue been solved by Corsair? What causes it?

- Should I be worried about any longterm damage to the memory controller as a result of running the modules in all slots at about 1000Mhz? (providing 1000 proves stable?)

- How necessary are the cooling fans (CMXAF1) for these modules? I have read that they do not stay clipped on very well at all, and that the modules already come with a very effective heatsink.

- When using a P5Q Deluxe with a Vendetta 2 CPU Cooler, will there be any space conflict if the RAM cooling fans (CMXAF1) are installed?

I think that is all I would like to know for now, to get this sorted out in my mind. :)

Thanks everyone.

• Corsair Employees

This has been posted many times about 4 modules.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

And if someone is having problems with the Memory Fan not staying on then I am sorry but they did not install it properly.

Archived