Corsair Community

EVGA 750i FTW and 2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-8500C5D

ajvajv

Hi all,

I have a EVGA 750I FTW Mobo. Using an e8500 processor. I'm using XP pro X64. I was currently using 1 kit of Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5D with stock 5-5-5-15 timing 2.1v version 1.9. All was working well. Today I installed 2 kit Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5D 5-5-5-15 timing 2.1v version 2.1. I picked them up from newegg. Well as soon as I install them windows boots and hits the BSOD and restarts. I try to lower it to 800 but no dice. I try to restart the machine again, let the BIOS run the memory test and it shows the 8 gigs. Again BSOD. So I try and pull out a couple the sticks and alternate them between slots and again get the BSOD.

After getting frustrated with the new memory using all 4 slots I put back in the old memory. Well I have a hard time getting it started because for some reason the bios changed the timings to like 4-7-7-18 2.1v Windows will start but it starts so slow. Everything runs extremely slow even when the start up programs open up. I even tried booting from a 2nd hard drive but its even slower than before.

Does anybody have any ideas what could have happened? It seems that the bios flipped out when I tried to install the 4 sticks and when I put the old sticks back in something drastically changed resulting in hard drive boot and windows to run super slow. This unit was only built in January. Could flashing the bios help or could something else work? I heard about problems with different versions with the 1.9 and 2.1 so I bought the 4 sticks hoping they would work together.

Thanks for any help.

nForce chipsets in the 6xxi and 7xxi series can't handle all 4 slots being filled at standard speeds and voltages, you have a choice of running 2 slots very fast or 4 slots at somewhat reduced speed. Try 667MHz first, and crank up the voltage a little (+0.05v to +0.2v) until you get something stable. If you can get stability with little or no excess voltage, make the step up to 800MHz and continue from where you left off. Try to stick within sane limits for this voltage increase, as you do want a working computer here instead of a pile of worthless slag.

A good overclocking guide will give you the same techniques for memory testing, even though your goal here is not to overclock.

P.S.: If you want to run 64-bit, you might consider the jump to Vista, as what you are running right now is only "called" XP 64-bit, it is actually Windows Server 2003 with some of the functionality removed. Vista is a lot better now after SP1 and several other patches (and I am not a fan of Vista nor Microsoft in general).

Thank you for the reply. I will definitely try to tone down all the speeds. My goal isnt' to overclock but just to run stable. I still find it odd after putting the 2 memory sticks back in that windows continued to run horribly slow. Would you think running the repair utility off of the install disk could help solve problems?

Somebody had suggested I flash the bios and then reinstall windows.

Thanks for your reply.

• Corsair Employees

I have posted that about running 4 up previously and I would sue memtest.org to test the system and do not mess with windows till the system is memtest stable, and you should test the modules one ata time to be sure one is not failing.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived