Corsair Community

Strong PSU and smell?

FLD_Toxicitizen

Hi, first time posting here but I did lurk a bit in the past two months ever since buying my PSU.

Basically, I'm not sure if I have a problem or not, so I thought someone here could help me.

The system is running fine, but when it's been running for a while, there is a smell that comes from it. Now, I need to specify a few things here.

Personally, I don't smell it that strong but others in the house often mention it to me, so perhaps I just don't notice the smell because it's in the room I sleep and I got used to it. But sometimes I smell it faintly when I get up fast (the tower is on the same level as the monitor and it has holes on top of it so the hot air doesn't get stuck between the PSU and the DVD-drive, so I'm thinking the smell rises with the hot air). But anyway, fact is, there is a smell, regardless of how strong it us.

So what I'm wondering here, is it normal for a powerful PSU to emit a smell like this? The PSU is a Corsair HX-1000 and I've been using it for two months now. I remember that the smell was there from day 1, because I remember searching online and read that sometimes PSU have a smell for a week or two while the components are still 'breaking in'. But it's been two months now.

Also, I need to specify that it's not really a burnt smell. At least, to me it doesn't smell like that at all. The problem is, I'm not quite sure how to describe it. The best way I can put it is that it smells like 'heat', and not as in 'this is hot air'. I unplugged the system and put my nose to the back of the PSU and I could clearly make out that the smell was coming from there.

I've smelled a burnt out PSU before and it's not the same thing. It's a more subtle smell. I really wish I could describe it better.

But anyway, there you have it. Is this normal for a PSU of that strength or is there likely something wrong with it?

Thanks in advance for any input! :D:

• Corsair Employees

The PSU is a Corsair HX-1000 and I've been using it for two months now. I remember that the smell was there from day 1, because I remember searching online and read that sometimes PSU have a smell for a week or two while the components are still 'breaking in'. But it's been two months now.

It's true that the PSU may give off a slight smell while its being broken in, it can be due to adhesives within the PSU heating up and settling. In this case, if its been 2 months and the smell is that strong, then we can replace the unit for you. The smell wouldn't necessarily indicate any functionality issue, but if it is bothersome then lets get it replaced!

Thanks for the reply.

What I would like to know is if I should get it replaced.

I don't know how RMAs works with Corsair, but I assume that, as with every other RMAs I've dealt with, I have to pay for shipping the part to them.

If you think this might be nothing, then no the smell is not that much of a bother that I feel I should replacement the PSU. But if there is a chance that it might mean imminent failure, or worse, damage my system in some way, in that case yes, I'd rather RMA it. Basically, I just don't want to waste time and money with a unnecessary RMA.

So anyway, just to be clear, do you believe it would be better to RMA or not?

Also, while we're at it, do I have to pay for shipping the unit to Corsair?

And would cross-shipping be available, so as to not have my system down for an extended period of time?

Thanks again!

• Corsair Employees

It really depends on how strong the smell is. If its noticeable while you are using the system then I would probably have it replaced. However the smell would not be any sign of the PSU being at risk of failing or causing any functionality problems at all, and its quite probable that the smell will eventually go away.

With a standard RMA you would pay the shipping to us, however you would need to discuss other options like cross-shipping with our customer service to see if that would be possible. You can contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com.

Archived