Corsair Community

Ummm smoke?

welsh_bantam

Hi,

Wondering if someone can help.

I have a corsair 400CX in my media PC, I hooked my 120mm fan up to a 12v-7v reducer cable to lessen the noise, and I'm not entirley sure what happened but I think one of the molex pins became loose and came out on the cable and when I fired up my PC a huge cloud of smoke came from the wire and it completely melted the cable.

My PSU cable looks fine with no damage at all and the computer works and all the molex connectors, including the one I was using on the 12v-7v converter works fine.

I also have a PSU tester which lights up green when the current is passing through and working, and it does indeed light up green.

I'm just wondering, have I just fried my converter cable or have I caused damage to the PSU?

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

• Corsair Employees
Sounds like it was just the adapter that was damaged. The adapter will likely have a 5v and 12v pin along with 2x grounds in between. If the 5v and 12v are reversed then it could cause damage to the component hooked up to the PSU and possibly the PSU connector but it sounds like the connector itself is OK.

• Corsair Employees
You mentioned that the molex connector worked fine with other components and if there is no evidence of damage to the cable then I would think it would be fine. I'm thinking that the fan adapter somehow got plugged in backwards or upside down flipping the 5v and 12v pins, and that's how the adapter was damaged.

Archived