Corsair Community

VX5500 SATA connector upside down?

potoole

I just installed a new VX550w and it seems that the SATA connectors are upside down. I'm using a standard case (PSU on top). I've searched the net and found one or two other people mention it, but I'm wondering if this is by design and I've got the wrong PSU or if it's a manufacturing error.

• Corsair Employees
It doesn't sound like a manufacturing error, are you able to twist the cables 180 degrees and plug them in? Some SATA connectors may work better than others depending on the position of the drives and whether the PSU is installed on the top or bottom of the case.

I can twist it over (top to bottom) but it puts a strain on the cable and limits how many connectors I can use. The only way it works is if the cable come up from underneath the drive.

Anyone who installs the PSU in top of the case and has the HDs at the bottom of the case (99% of people) will have trouble. If it was designed this way, it's a poor design decision IMO. At least is should have been mentioned in the product description.

Are there top-of-case and bottom-of-case versions of this PSU?

I'm really bummed becase I really like the PSU and I don't want to return it. It's a top-notch product, except for these connectors.

• Corsair Employees

I just checked out a unit in our lab and it looks like the SATA connectors should be oriented the right way in order to ideally plug in your HDDs with the PSU mounted at the top of the case. If for some reason the connectors are not oriented the right way you should have plenty of slack to easily connect 3 HDDs per cable with them as far as 2-3 inches apart with no problems of straining the cables. In most systems I would suspect that the cables should work without any problems but you may need to play around with the cable management to find the ideal configuration for your own setup.

There is only one version of each PSU we manufacture and unfortunately the connectors may not be oriented ideally for 100% of the systems out there, but you should still be able to hook up all the drives and have some slack on the cable to make the cable management look nice and neat.

• 1 year later...
  • Corsair Employees

Unfortunately there is no solution other than what I mentioned previously.

There is only one version of each PSU we manufacture and unfortunately the connectors may not be oriented ideally for 100% of the systems out there, but you should still be able to hook up all the drives and have some slack on the cable to make the cable management look nice and neat.

This should be noted in the cable length post. Most new cases have bottom mounted power supplies. Running the SATA connectors properly on adjacent drives results in a loss of ~6 inches. When you're listing cable lengths as ±25mm this is HUGE.

Does Corsair offer any variations on these cables? (Or something similar to the SATA hub in the 800D?)

• 1 month later...

Searched the forums for this exact issue only.

I am having the same problems with an AX750 in a 600T case (bottom mounted PSU).

The SATA cable needs to be rooted to the top and then downwards for the connectors to fit on the drives.

This is far from ideal in a bottom mounted case.

Maybe there should be 2 versions of each cable, one for each mounting position....

If there is a solution I would be more than interested to hear it.

• 1 year later...

I bought a Corsair HX520W 2 years ago and had trouble floor mounting it in a new case.

As I was building a new PC this year I hoped I would not run into the same problem when buying a new PSU.

This 'UPSIDE DOWN SATA CONNECTOR' ISSUE needs to be addressed by PSU manufacturers.

It is not good to expect End-Users to be attempting re-wiring the connectors themselves, nor is it clever to expect them to search high & low on the Internet for Splitters or Converters as this just adds to the Spaghetti & makes for a 'Rat's Nest' Cabling scenario in what should be a streamlined PC.

This is a manufacturers problem and it is not good enough to simply say the cables are 'unavailable right now'.

The product should state whether it is 'FIT FOR PURPOSE' OR NOT.

i.e. SUITABLE FOR FLOOR MOUNTING OR NOT.

I humbly suggest you put this at CEO/Director level.

This situation, the orientation of the SATA power connectors relative to the power supply's mounting position, top or bottom, will always leave those with one or the other PS mounting position, unhappy.

Now that the bottom mount PS position has become much more common (I only use cases with the bottom mount PS style) manufactures have begun orienting the SATA connectors to accommodate that kind of case. That of course does not work well when those PSs are used in top mount cases. But that SATA connector orientation is not ubiquitous in new PSs, I have a new PS that has the SATA connectors oriented for a top mount case.

This is certainly not just a Corsair PS thing, I have other manufactures PSs whose SATA power cables are the same way. It's a choice the manufacture has, and there are only two possibilities. Any PS will be affected by this choice.

What I do with a bottom mount PS case, when the SATA power connectors are "upside down", is run the SATA power cable along the bottom of the case (hopefully behind the mother board tray), and when I reach the drive mounting rack, I run the cable up the side (corner) of the drive rack, held in place with zip ties, to the top of the drive rack, and then allow the cable to run back down along the back of the drives, plugging them in as needed. Not as clean as simply running the cable up from the case bottom once, but it works. With sideways mounted drives, the cables can't be seen, so no big deal, unless your case has tight cable clearance.

Top mount PS cases with the same issue can be more difficult, but if you can run the SATA power cable down to the bottom of the case, and then up to connect to the drives, that works.

Molex connectors are affected by the same orientation situation, so this issue is really nothing new. Since molex connectors are now used much less, we don't notice it.

What we need is a pivoting power connector, or as mentioned, custom cables that are top or bottom mount PS oriented. I'm not aware of any PS manufacture that offers this option, but all manufactures cables are affected by the PS mounting position.

I have other manufactures PSs whose SATA power cables are the same way. It's a choice the manufacture has, and there are only two possibilities. Any PS will be affected by this choice.

Same here. My PSU WAS the same way. I just turned the connectors around to the other side of the wire . Easy fix!

Peanutz, that will work for some, but not all cables. For example, the SATA power cables used on the HX750 and HX850 are made with flat, ribbon-like cabling, and the connectors cannot be turned in the way you mentioned. Neither can those connectors on a very new PS that I use, made by one of the largest OEM and retail PS manufactures.

Basically, this problem is caused by the design of the SATA power connectors made for use on power supply cables. The wires enter and exit the connectors on the top and bottom, not on the back of the connector, the back being the side opposite the end plugged into the SATA device. With the wires entering the back side of the connector, it's usually possible to turn the connector 180 degrees to achieve the correct orientation. On typical multi-connector SATA power cables, only the last connector on the cable has the wires enter the back of the connector. Many molex connectors have the cables entering at the back of the connector.

Since much of this issue could be viewed as an annoyance, or compromise rather than strictly a non-functioning or non-useable cable, we may not get much sympathy from PS manufactures. IMO, since this really is a problem only with SATA power cables, it wouldn't be to difficult to stock top and bottom PS oriented SATA power cables. A manufacture offering this option might attract more sales.

I'm forgetting that this applies only to modular power supplies. A change in the design of the SATA power connectors that allows a simple change in their orientation is the only all around fix.

I'm just finishing up my 800D build and have run into this same problem with my AX1200 PSU. I thought this would be an isolated case but apparently not.

Due to known issues with the backplane used with SSD's I have chosen to avoid potential problems and have removed it. I'm running the power cables directly into the back of each drive. Since the connectors are upside down relative to the keyway on the drives I had to twist the crap out of them just to get them to fit and there is too much spacing between the connectors compared to the drives in the hot swap bay. Needless to say when I was done it looked like absolute crap and is probably putting more tension/stress on the drive connectors than I would like.

The cables for the AX1200 are stiff as hell and cannot be easily manipulated - especially the flat SATA & Molex ribbon cables. I'm trying to find a solution for this because there is no way that I'm going to leave it like this.

Adapters might make things better, but that is up to you.

SATA power splitter cables, usually with two power connectors for drives on them and one to connect to the PS SATA cable, are common. But watch out, these adapters can have the same issue as the regular cables, so check the keyed slot in the adapter before you buy.

Then there are molex to SATA power adapters, or more kinds than I can describe.

Some people make their own cables, which requires special tools and patience, but you can find the connectors, pins, and tools at on line stores.

• 9 months later...

I ran in to the same exact issue with my AX850... my case is a top-mount case, and the damn connectors on the cables are upside down, meant to be coming up from the bottom...

my case has vents on the top though - so I was thinking I can just flip the PSU over and mount it so that the fan is facing up at the top of the case (instead of facing in towards motherboard), and this will in turn change the orientation of which way the cables are plugged into the back of the PSU, which will correct the other end issue of being upside down - and they will be the correct orientation to just plug right into the drives... and since my case is all vented on the top right above the PSU, having the fan facing the top will allow it to bring in cooler air from the top/outside of the case to cool itself....

This situation, the orientation of the SATA power connectors relative to the power supply's mounting position, top or bottom, will always leave those with one or the other PS mounting position, unhappy

Well, isn't a modular power supply exactly the situation where this could be easily addressed? One set of top-mount cables, one of bottom mount. Or make two SKUs with the cable-orientation variations? (that's a lousy idea, IMO). Better yet, make the modular cables such that they satisfy the majority of applications, and give the customer a coupon to send in for a set of complimentary cables for the other, less popular, orientation. What a way to make loyal, happy, customers, eh?

Where do you (Ram Guy?) get the idea that bottom mounting is more popular, by the way?

What we're suffering from here is simply a lack of imagination and a desire to see the issues from the customer perspective. That's rotten Marketing -- no news there.

Corsair Marketing needs a real shake-up. Their web page specifications are lame, and they can't seem to think out of their little, self-imposed box.

so I was thinking I can just flip the PSU over and mount it so that the fan is facing up at the top of the case (instead of facing in towards motherboard), and this will in turn change the orientation of which way the cables are plugged into the back of the PSU, which will correct the other end issue of being upside down - and they will be the correct orientation to just plug right into the drives...

Nope. You haven't thought this through all the way. Flipping over the PSU will accomplish nothing that simply twisting the cables 1/2 turn wouldn't, which isn't going to help with your situation at all.

How about using different cables then? I have a full set of modular cables from my previous seasonic psu (600w), and those are facing the correct direction... Can I use those cables on my corsair psu instead of the corsair cables that came with it??

• 1 year later...

Just wondering if there was ever a solution to this - i.e. Corsair selling the sata cables with the plugs the other way around?

Just installed a new HX750 - ATX, top mounted, and sure enough the SATA plugs for the HDDs are upside down. Have to twist them and use more than one to power the 3 HDDs which is a little bit crappy.

Any alternatives out there a year on?.....

• 4 months later...

Archived