Corsair Community

How do I power my 28-amp 8800 GTS?

machinus

Hello,

I built this system about two years ago and it worked fine. It crashed about a year ago and I have been trying to rebuild it since then.

I just called BFG tech support about the card they sent me (RMA'd once) and they said my card needs 28 A. The card comes with a 6-pin power adapter connected to two 4-pin molex adapters. Originally I think hooked up the 6-pin adapter straight into the power supply (only 18A) and it worked fine.

This time, the video card does not power on at all. I have tried using the 6-pin modular connector into the 6-pin video card power slot, and that doesn't work. I have tried connecting both 4-pin connectors into the power supply but that doesn't power on the card either.

Is there another adapter I need to get? What am I doing wrong?

I have a speaker and I get beeps when there is no RAM inserted, but I do not get beeps for no VGA.

I have reseated the card and switched PCIe slots several times.

I have cleared CMOS several times also.

Either the GPU is bad (unlikely since I got it RMAd),the PSU is bad (also unlikely since it is brand new), the cpu is blown (unlikely since it is brand new and the system boots past RAM), or I am not connecting the power correctly. RAM guy, where are you??

Which Corsair PSU are you using?

If you have a 6-pin PCi-e power cord, then attach that to your 8800GTS.

If you still have problems, try attaching the other (if you have it) 6-pin cord.

You say that the 4-pin to 6-pin adapter doesn't power the card either?

Then I would have to say that that you have a defective card!

If the card isn't getting power, you should receive a message on start-up.

• Corsair Employees
The HX520 has 40 amps on its single 12v rail, so power should not be a concern. If the PCIe connector were not delivering power then the card would normally sound a "low power" alarm. Does the PSU power on and stay on powering your fans and you get nothing on the screen? Or is the PSU turning on and then shutting itself off?

Hello,

I just called BFG tech support about the card they sent me (RMA'd once) and they said my card needs 28 A.

Just a quick interjection, the card itself doesn't need 28A on its own, but the manufacturer estimates a certain power requirement scenario for the average user, and it includes all the components in your computer. A modern PSU has either a big single or several smaller multiple rails, and a multiple rail PSU distributes the load over several of those, so all the load doesn't fall on one of those rails. However, as Ram Guy states, the HX520 is single rail, even though the label states otherwise.

An 8800GTS card will draw about 100W on its own (around 8 amps). So for all practical purposes, it shouldn not be a lack of power that's causing your shutdowns.

• Corsair Employees
Just a quick interjection, the card itself doesn't need 28A on its own, but the manufacturer estimates a certain power requirement scenario for the average user, and it includes all the components in your computer. A modern PSU has either a big single or several smaller multiple rails, and a multiple rail PSU distributes the load over several of those, so all the load doesn't fall on one of those rails. However, as Ram Guy states, the HX520 is single rail, even though the label states otherwise.

An 8800GTS card will draw about 100W on its own (around 8 amps). So for all practical purposes, it shouldn not be a lack of power that's causing your shutdowns.

Thanks for clearing that up JoeBob!

Archived