Corsair Community

HX620 Computer completely shuts down under heavy load

cylontoaster

My system seems pretty solid when doing normal less power hungry tasks like surfing the web, coding, file-transfers etc...

However, when I start up a gpu intense process like crysis or cod4 I can get about 2 minutes of gameplay before my computer completely shuts off.

I'm only running one 285gtx card so I assumed this power supply would be enough. I even changed some of the connections to the gpu, thinking it was a bad wire, or that both my cpu and gpu were drawing from the same rail.

Should I rma the power-supply or do I need higher wattage for my system?

• Corsair Employees

There are a few possibilities:

1. Something is overheating, check your temps next time following a shutdown.

2. Possibly a memory problem, use http://www.memtest.org to make sure you are not getting any errors.

3. The motherboard or some other component is going out of spec and tripping the overcurrent/overvoltage protection circuits in the PSU. Try the PSU in a different system to see if you have the same problems.

4. There is a faulty component in the PSU.

I would go down the list and see if you can narrow down the possibilities. If it looks like there is a good chance that a replacement PSU will resolve the issues then, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

However, when I start up a gpu intense process like crysis or cod4 I can get about 2 minutes of gameplay before my computer completely shuts off.

Also, use of the video card tools such as the one from EVGA to monitor and if necessary, adjust your GPU fan speeds. Sounds like your GPU may be overheating.

Archived