Corsair Community

Have I just been sold a fake Corsair Voyager Mini 4GB?

Fostex

Hi guys,

I recently bought x2 Corsair Voyager Mini's (4GB) from the following website:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FL-011-CS&groupid=701&catid=137&subcat=1309

I received both of them today but something doesn't seem right to me. The packaging of both is completely different. Is one (or both) of these fake?

Picture 1:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9418/dsc0510s.jpg

Note 1 - Different patterns on the plastic seal (square pattern on the left, no pattern on the right). The colour of the plastic is also different (left one looks clear, right one has a blue tint)

Note 2 - "VoyagerMini" logo is slightly higher on the left one, lower on the right one. "USB 2.0" logo is, again, higher on the left one and lower on the right one. Also, on the right one, the position of the "USB 2.0" logo is very close to the round extrusion.

Picture 2:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3789/dsc0511c.jpg

Note 3 - Logo size and position is completely different.

Note 4 - Three lines of text on the left one, but only 2 lines of text on the right one. Also, the size of the yellow background strip is different. The left one overlaps onto the serial sticker, but the right one doesn't.

Note 5 - Different serial sticker sizes. The left sticker fits inside the black rectangle, but the right sticker completely overlaps the black rectangle.

Would anyone who has an official Corsair Voyager Mini be able to tell me if any one these are fake? I haven't opened them yet so I can't check the speed or drive labels yet.

Also, does CMFUSBMINI-16GB exist? I can't find it on the Corsair website, but they are being sold at the same shop:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FL-014-CS&groupid=701&catid=137&subcat=207

Are these fake too?

Thanks alot.

DSC_0510.JPG.37955f41180d60d2f8abd3b3142ec79b.JPG

DSC_0511.JPG.93ffdc5dc31ec022e4794c2d9be32385.JPG

Thanks for that, looks like both may be fake then? :(

I'd be very greatful if someone could show me/describe what genuine packaging should look like. Would also come in handy for future reference. TIA

Fostex, RAM GUY replied here and he also asked me to look into this more in depth as we take issues like this very seriously.

First, we stand by any Corsair product sold by OCUK as they are direct Corsair customers and source all their Corsair products directly from us.

Second, we have more than 1 supplier that builds and packages the Voyager Mini drives for us. Currently they are assembled in China and each uses slightly different packaging. Also, we have made some minor changes to the packaging since the Mini was introduced.

Based on what you have posted here, I don't see any indicators at all that you have gotten counterfeit drives. If you have any additional questions, please let us know and Corsair will assist you directly. We are sorry for any confusion this may have caused for you.

I have also spoken with the purchasing manager at OCUK and he also relayed the same message to me. Thanks for clearing this up.

Now I can enjoy my genuine Corsair drives :D: :p:

Fostex, RAM GUY replied here and he also asked me to look into this more in depth as we take issues like this very seriously.

First, we stand by any Corsair product sold by OCUK as they are direct Corsair customers and source all their Corsair products directly from us.

Second, we have more than 1 supplier that builds and packages the Voyager Mini drives for us. Currently they are assembled in China and each uses slightly different packaging. Also, we have made some minor changes to the packaging since the Mini was introduced.

Based on what you have posted here, I don't see any indicators at all that you have gotten counterfeit drives. If you have any additional questions, please let us know and Corsair will assist you directly. We are sorry for any confusion this may have caused for you.

But why can't your suppliers use STANDARD design packaging for the same product? Ok granted the differences are minor, but surely Corsair can plonk their packaging design on a CD, hand it over to their overseas suppliers and say "please use that design chaps" and bob's yer uncle?

Archived