Corsair Community

750TX intermittent

Miron

Just putting a new build together.

I power up and my new Corsair 750TX will work for a few seconds, the power down, the almost immediately, power up again. The cycle repeats until I shut it down.

HELP!!

Alfred

• Corsair Employees

I would recommend that you try the PSU functionality test from the following thread: http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=63991

If the PSU powers on and stays on, then there is a possibility that your system is triggering the OCP/OVP (overcurrent and overvoltage protection) circuits on the PSU due to an out of spec signal from the motherboard. There could also be a short or a grounding issue within the system preventing the PSU from powering on and staying on. If this is the case then I would recommend testing the PSU in a different system to be sure. If the PSU is still not powering on properly then let us know and we will be happy to replace it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi RAM guy, I have the exact same problem as the OP.

I just helped to build a new system for my brother using some old spare parts of mine and as well as some new parts purchased. One of the new parts is a Corsair TX750 power supply. I also own 2 other Corsair PSU's (HX1000, CX400) that works great with no problems, so I had no issues going with another one of your units for this build.

The system actually runs just fine. But when the system is shut down and powered off, every few minutes in between it would do one of the following, randomly.

- powers on for a few seconds, with CPU fan spinning, video card lights on, and hdd/power status on case lights on... then everything goes off.

- entire system powers on for like 10 seconds, like a normal boot. Everything just goes on as if normal boot, and then off again like above.

This system was built about 2 weeks ago, and this problem started happening on Friday. Before then it was fine. The only time I don't have this problem is when I pull the power cord from the wall, or when I flip the switch off on the psu.

I just looked at the thread you linked ... But I'm not comfortable attempting it... for safety reasons. After work today I will be pulling out the HX1000 from my system and try that one, as well as test the TX750 in my own system.

I'll update this thread with my results.

• Corsair Employees

In this cases swapping the PSUs to test should point you in the right direction, if you have the same problem with the other PSU then there is likely something else causing the problem, but if you have no problems when using the HX1000 in the system then lets get the TX750 replaced!

You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Hi again. Sorry for the late reply. I had the HX1000 installed for a night and it doesn't show the same issue. As I've thought, it was the PSU after all. I will be filling out the RMA form.

If the PSU powers on and stays on, then there is a possibility that your system is triggering the OCP/OVP (overcurrent and overvoltage protection) circuits on the PSU due to an out of spec signal from the motherboard. There could also be a short or a grounding issue within the system preventing the PSU from powering on and staying on. If this is the case then I would recommend testing the PSU in a different system to be sure. If the PSU is still not powering on properly then let us know and we will be happy to replace it!

hi could you go more into this?

See this is my problem

Yesterday I put a new cooler on my card and then put in my system. The system would then turn on with all the fans and then shut off again, then a few seconds later turn on again, off etc

So I took out the GPU and ran the system and it still shut off. Yesterday I took off my 8-pin and it ran without shutting off. I even put the GPU in and it also runs fine.

I recall a few weeks where I forgot to plug in my 8-pin and most of the fans did not turn on. Then I plugged my 8-pin and everything turned on. The PSU was working fine earlier yesterday, so it's just something to do with the 8-pin

appreciate any help, thanks.

PSU is a 750w that I was running for like 4 months without a problem.

• Corsair Employees
Its possible that a component could be drawing more power than it should and our PSU is designed to detect this and shut itself down to prevent damage to the system. In this case since you had a different PSU which worked in the system I would suspect the problem is with the TX750 and it should be replaced. Now if you had the same problems with the HX1000 then I would suspect the issue could have been caused by a short or an out of spec component, but in this case it looks like its the PSU.

Its possible that a component could be drawing more power than it should and our PSU is designed to detect this and shut itself down to prevent damage to the system. In this case since you had a different PSU which worked in the system I would suspect the problem is with the TX750 and it should be replaced. Now if you had the same problems with the HX1000 then I would suspect the issue could have been caused by a short or an out of spec component, but in this case it looks like its the PSU.

Hi Ram Guy I appreciate the reply

I'm confused about this part. I never had a different PSU in the system, so either you got mixed up with someone else or I'm reading this wrong :o:

yesterday the 750TX was working just fine. Then when I go in to install the GPU, it just turns on and off. Took off the 8-pin and runs just fine. So could it be defective? I mean it was running perfectly, but then I shut it off then for a few hours and turned it back on. Could it really be defective from that?

• Corsair Employees

Oh you are right, I didn't realize that you were not the OP :eek:

Have you tried resetting the BIOS via the CLRTC jumper on the board? You may also want to test the video card in a different system or test a different video card in your system if you have the option.

Just so I am sure I understand what is happening, if you have everything hooked up (video card, 8-pin mobo connector, etc) does the system turn on and stay on and you get nothing on the screen? And the problem only started after reinstalling your graphics card with the new cooler?

I'll test the video card somewhere else and see how it goes

but the thing is everything turns on fine with the 8-pin out and doesn't shut down. With the 8-pin the system turns on for a few seconds then off and just repeats, with or without the video card this happens. That's why I isolated the problem to the 8-pin, and I don't know but something is up with it. Everything was fine yesterday

and yeah this happened after I tried to install the video card with a new cooler on it. Could it be I hit something on the bottom of the motherboard? Is there like a switch? I don't know..

to clarify im talking about the 8-pin CPU connector right next to the heat sink, and not the 8 pin for the GPU because I have a 4870

I fixed it by pullin the CMOS swtich.

I have another question.. say I need to RMA the PSU, would I need everything that came with it? I have the box with the UPC cut out, and that's about it. I have big bubble wrap and would make sure it's safe when it got to corsair, but I'm not sure if that is acceptable.. thanks and keep up the good work I guess I like my PSU alot.

Archived