Corsair Community

Asus P5Q3 with TW3X4G1333C9 vs TW3X4G1333C9DHX

northwester

I'm building a new system with an Asus P5Q3 (not the Deluxe version of the MB) with a Wolfdale E8500 processor. I want to install 4 x 2GB DDR3 1333 memory sticks for a total of 8GB... I will be running Vista Ultimate 64-bit, and I do NOT overclock.

I'm looking for advice on using four of the TW3X4G1333C9 2GB sticks vs four of the TW3X4G1333C9DHX 2GB sticks...

Does anyone have experience with either of these memory modules used with the P5Q3 and an E8500, or knowledgable advice on either of these combinations??

Thank you.

The only memory Corsair supports in a four DRAM slot population is their Quad kits. This does not mean two dual kits or even worse two dual kits of different versions will not work together, just that you have no recourse to RMA Corsair if they do not work together. If there are problems with the DRAM modules, they are still supported via lifetime warranty, but that is for physical defects and errors in a two stick kit mode. Matched Quad sets are highly binned modules for a four slot population. The Dual sets are tested as a kit, not a Quad and warranted as a dual kit, not a Quad setup. You need to Memtest them as Kits (2 modules, not as a four DRAM slot population). If they fail as a kit or singly, then you have RMA. Keep in mind that there is no support for mixing and matching different versions of DRAM either since different version are of different fabrications and/or manufacturers. They might work, they might not work, but you have no support if they do not work. Thus you are advised to buy all the DRAM at the same time and in this way be more assured of getting the same versions. If you buy online, be sure to specify same versions of the modules.

You are advised to drop the bandwidth to 800Mhz and raise the NB Voltage +.2v.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

There is a limitation of the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller or On CPU (AMD) and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This limitation is across the board with both AMD and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues can arise in the longer term even though you have shorter term stability. The issues seldom damage the DRAM unless you raise the DRAM voltage too high. They damage the on CPU (AMD) memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population.

You are advised to drop the memory speed from 1333Mhz to 1066Mhz and increase your memory controller voltage +.1v for your X38/X48 memory controller chipset.

I'm building a new system with an Asus P5Q3 (not the Deluxe version of the MB) with a Wolfdale E8500 processor. I want to install 4 x 2GB DDR3 1333 memory sticks for a total of 8GB... I will be running Vista Ultimate 64-bit, and I do NOT overclock.

I'm looking for advice on using four of the TW3X4G1333C9 2GB sticks vs four of the TW3X4G1333C9DHX 2GB sticks...

Does anyone have experience with either of these memory modules used with the P5Q3 and an E8500, or knowledgable advice on either of these combinations??

Thank you.

Archived