Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF Works, then Fails, Then Works

I recently purchased the 4gb kit and installed it. For the first few weeks everything ran beautifully.

Then the problems started... Programs started crashing randomly. I started getting blue screen reboots.. games took forever to load. Just to name a few.

So I ran memtest, everything looked perfectly fine. So I figured it was a currupt operating system. I reinstalled Vista 64, and everything seemed to work good for a day or two. Then the exact same problems.

I spent hours scanning hard disks, trying different drivers for my video card. making sure all my fans and temps were good. The problems kept happening.

So I ran memtest again. FAIL, the entire screen was red with failure, not one pass. So I double check everythings seated okay, and i decide to move it from 1, 3 on the motherboard to 2, 4. I get it all hooked up power it on, load up memtest, and it passes. It passed for about 4 hours while I was out. I reboot it load into windows. it works great for about an hour. Then bam! the same thing. So i reboot, load up memtest, FAIL again, exactly the same as before.

This seems like very strange behaivor for memory. At least its something that I have not seen before.

Is there anything that could be causing this that I'm missing? I have no way of testing the modules in another system. However, prior to the Dominator sticks I was running 4x1gb Mushkin 1066 sticks. These worked wonderful. I passed them down to my kid brother for his first build. I will be "stealing" 2 of those sticks back to test with tonight, and if need be to keep me gaming while i wait for the RMA process.

Anyhow, any help is always appreciated.

• Corsair Employees
Are you running 4 modules 2 sets or just two modules and what are the exact settings you have set for both CPU and memory and when you changed to these modules did you load setup defaults and set the tested settings?

I just have 1 set currently.

I reset my bios back to defaults.

CPU settings are all stock/auto, same for the ram with the exception of the speed If i leave it default my board (MSI P6n diamond nv680i) clocks the ram at 800mhz, If i link it it runs at 1066, or i have the option to just set its speed, so its set at 1066, the timings are 5 5 5 15 everything else is auto.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay,

I guess I need to post a bit of an update on my situation. I'm getting more and more confused. Originally I suspected my motherboard to be at fault (MSI P6N DIAMOND) Mainly because simply clearing cmos will usually correct the issue for a few hours or days. But just to be sure i decided to run a single stick of ddr2 800 i know for a fact was good. It has ran for 2 days in my system with no problems at all.

So I was just wanting to double check the Dominator ram, I put a single stick in, went into my bios set it to all defaults, 2.10V on the memory, 1066 for the ram clock, and 5-5-5-15 for the timings. I put in my memtest disc and booted up my computer, nothing it just sits at a curser and refuses to load. So i tried the other stick. Same thing.

So I think to myself well the other stick is working fine at 800mhz, So i set the clock back down to 800mhz and now memtest will run and each stick will pass individually. But i cannot get it to do anything over 800mhz.

So I'm not sure what to think. On one hand i feel that it could still possibly be the motherboard dying and refusing to operate at the ram's stock speeds, but on the other hand I never had any problems before upgrading ram.

Is it possible for the ram to actually be defective yet pass memtest at lower clock speeds?

Should I just RMA the ram? and if so how long of a process is that typically?

Again thanks for the help.

I have the same modules and the same problem. Ram works for a few hours and passes memtest, then the pc starts crashing and fails memtest and then works again. I've tried changing the frequencies and none of that has worked.

Am I doing something wrong or should I just RMA them?

The ram is actively cooled by the dominator fan and all my temps are fine so I don't think temperature is a problem. Also I'm running the ram at the rated 2.1v and only at 950mhz and 5-5-5-15 timings so 2.1v should be more than enough voltage for them.

Sorry I don't have another system to try them in.

• Corsair Employees
I am not talking about the memory when I said Thermal or Voltage problem, more than likely it is the chipset or CPU or MB that has a problem. What are the other Voltages in your system and temps?

Archived