Corsair Community

550VX - Restart instead of shutdown

rhinology

I built my system a week ago. It had worked mostly okay. But yesterday when I selected "Shutdown" in OS, the system automatically restarted after it completed shutdown process.

Then I entered BIOS settings screen (to make sure it's not Windows' fault) and push the power button on case to power off the machine. A few seconds later, the system powered on automatically. I also turned off all "wake up" settings in BIOS "Power Management" page, restarted the machine and double checked my BIOS settings. It didn't help.

The only way to turn it off is to use the power switch on the PSU.

Tried Googling the web and found some people had same issue. Some of them sovled the problem by replace their PSU.

What's the next step? RMA the 550VX?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
I would disconnect the power and reset buttons from the board and manually jump the PWR pins to boot up the system. Try a shut down from safe mode and see if you still have the same problems. Let us know your results!

Did what exactly you said. Same issue.

One difference between a normal "restart" and "restart instead of shutdown": When I use the "restart" function in Windows, the system restarts immediately after shutting down. When I select "shutdown", the system will look like in off state for a few seconds, then it starts booting again.

I think it's either case switch, or motherboard, or power supply. Now case switch has been ruled out. Motherboard is flashed with latest BIOS and loaded with "fail-safe defaults". So, it seems to be the power supply?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees

The PSU can only turn on if the green wire on the 24-pin connector is bridged with a ground wire on the same connector, the PSU can not do this on its own. The PSU is a very "dumb" component in that it only converts AC power from your wall into DC power which is then regulated by the motherboard to power the components in your system. On/off functionality is almost entirely controlled by the motherboard. I would test the PSU in a different system to be sure, but if it looks like replacing the unit will resolve the problem then we can try replacing it for you.

Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived