Corsair Community

HX-620 defective, causing freezing issues?

iowamoe300

I have been having problems for the last year and a half with my computer freezing at random. Needless to say, I have tried about every troubleshooting option there is, including about 4 motherboards from evga, new ram, etc. I have been through about 4 680i boards, and now they have put me into a 780i board and I am still getting freezing. When it happens, I have to hold in the power button and cold boot it. Sometimes it happens after a couple hours uptime, and somtimes I can make it a couple days. It happens in the middle of the night while the computer is idling, or during gaming under load. There is no exact pattern to it. I started a thread a year ago on the EVGA forums that has grown into a 15 page troubleshooting guide. I even recently rma'ed my video cards and still had the problem.

The reason I am here is because the only thing I haven't swapped out is my corsair hx-620. Could it be bad causing all my problems? I checked the voltages in the bios and they read +3.3= 3.18, +5= 4.84, and 12v= 11.83. Those numbers drop slightly under load when I watch it in everest. Are those voltages within specs? I have my unit hooked up to a ups, and according to it, I'm pulling about 515 watts when idling, and to between 600 and 620 under full load. In addition to my listed components, I am also running 8- 120mm fans and an 18w mcp-355 pump for my cooling system. I had all this running from day one never had any problems until about a year and a half ago, and I got my psu in 2007. Any suggestions are appreciated.

• Corsair Employees
The rails are within spec and I would not suspect the PSU as a main culprit, but if everything else has been replaced and you've already tried reinstalling Windows to rule out a software issue (also make sure you can duplicate the same issues in safe mode to make sure its indeed a hardware issue) then we can try swapping it out for you. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

One thing I also noticed tonight. With the computer not even booted up and just running the fans and bleeding my pump with the psu running on a jumper, the fan turns very slowly. While under full load the fan looks to be going the same slow speed, and that is when its pushing out 600 watts. Shouldn't it be going faster under that high load? Maybe the fan is causing me the problems by not cooling it enough.

• Corsair Employees
The PSU can provide its full wattage at temperatures up to 50 degrees Celsius so its unlikely that the PSU is overheating. If possible I would test it in a known working system and see if you can reproduce the same issues, and if so, lets get it replaced!

The PSU can provide its full wattage at temperatures up to 50 degrees Celsius so its unlikely that the PSU is overheating. If possible I would test it in a known working system and see if you can reproduce the same issues, and if so, lets get it replaced!

Thanks RAM GUY. I spoke with CS today and they are doing an advanced exchange for me. Hopefully it will fix my problems.

Ramguy, I just wanted to let you know that I received my advanced exchange rma psu today and its all installed and working fine. I went ahead and just kept the pci-e cables from it because I don't know if you guys got my request for them. Is that ok I hope?

Archived