Corsair Community

MSI X58 Pro instability issues with TR3X6G1600C9

Zivman

I have been in contact with MSI about instability issues with their board. System randomly locks up and reboots within windows. I have NO issues booting, but I cannot keep my system up for more than 48 hrs without somesort of stability issue. It ususally locks up or reboots twice a day.

I have gotten two separate bios revisions from the MSI tech support -> 7.23 and 7.33. Neither have resolved the stability.

I have tried auto settings, XMP settings, and a couple separate manual settings and all have the same results. I need to know what memory settings I should be running.

Please note I am using bios 7.33 with optimized defaults loaded with XMP enabled and have ran through multiple passes with memtest.

If you are passing Memtest, then the issue of instability is external to the memory. Memory is passive. It performs no operations. It simple stores and retrieves data. If the data is stored and retrieved error free in Memtest, then you need to look externally for the issue.

I would look to the seating of the CPU. These new X58 CPU form factors are a bit looser than the core 2 products and there is more "wiggle room" that can bring about instability. Remove the CPU, use a magnifying glass and look over the rows of pins to be sure that they are all in line. If they are not, a small toothpick can help to set them in place.

I have been in contact with MSI about instability issues with their board. System randomly locks up and reboots within windows. I have NO issues booting, but I cannot keep my system up for more than 48 hrs without somesort of stability issue. It ususally locks up or reboots twice a day.

I have gotten two separate bios revisions from the MSI tech support -> 7.23 and 7.33. Neither have resolved the stability.

I have tried auto settings, XMP settings, and a couple separate manual settings and all have the same results. I need to know what memory settings I should be running.

Please note I am using bios 7.33 with optimized defaults loaded with XMP enabled and have ran through multiple passes with memtest.

If you are passing Memtest, then the issue of instability is external to the memory. Memory is passive. It performs no operations. It simple stores and retrieves data. If the data is stored and retrieved error free in Memtest, then you need to look externally for the issue.

I would look to the seating of the CPU. These new X58 CPU form factors are a bit looser than the core 2 products and there is more "wiggle room" that can bring about instability. Remove the CPU, use a magnifying glass and look over the rows of pins to be sure that they are all in line. If they are not, a small toothpick can help to set them in place.

I have built enough machines to know an improperly seated CPU. I would be experiencing other issues than what I am seeing now.... related to boot issues and such.

I personally think the board is POS and I should have spent more on a better board.

Regardless, can you provide manual settings for the ram?

Test them at DDR1333 if the system is stable you may have to wait for the MB BIOS to mature to get the full speed of the modules with the MSI MB.

I ran memtest last night at XMP settings (1600). System made 3 passes with zero errors before I called it quits. would you still recommend running at 1333? I am fine with that if that is what it takes. I just want a stable system. I had not intended on overclocking, but thought I could run the memory with the XMP settings and call it a day. Would a higher end memory pack be a solution or do you think this is all related to the board/bios?

Below is my interaction with MSI support:

Random instability within windows. I have tried all the ram settings I can think of from XMP enabled, to fail safe defaults. even tried underclocking the ram. I have ran the Windows memory test and believe the memory is good I have explored forums to look for suggestions on getting my system stable without any luck. Longest I have had my machine running without a lockup is 48 hrs. It usually locks up twice per day. Sometimes during a prime95 stress test, sometimes simply opening outlook to check email. Sometimes it just locks up while it is sitting. CPU temps look very good, 16-20*C at idel 30-40*C under load. IOH temps are warm 60-65*C at idle, 70-75*C under load. CPU is not overclocked as I cannot even get it stable with failsafe defaults loaded in the bios. Bios has been updated to 7.1. Please note system ALWAYS boots/posts and locks up only in windows. It does post slowly, but I believe this is the nature of the board. I still have two weeks to return/exchange the board at the retailer I purchased it from, but would like some technical advice to resolve the issue before I do so. Like I said, Usually every 6-10 hours (twice a day) the system has some sort of stability issue from locking up to rebooting. System has had stability issues from the day it was assembled. All components except the DVD drive are brand new System is in a coolermaster stacker case with plenty of room and air flow

Dear Customer, Please try the attached bios version 7.23 it is the latest just be sure to enter the bios after has been updated and load the Optimized Defaults set up the boot sequence then save and exit and see how system performs. Thank you,

The new bios didn't seem to rid the issue. about an hour into a sisoft sandra burn-in session, the system randomly rebooted. Any other suggestions?

Dear Customer, Please try this bios is the latest beta just found was released does address some memory stability issues. Also again be sure to load the optimized defaults after update you may also want to try setting the memory voltage manually check the Corsair site and see what is the recommended voltage for the memory you have then just be sure to save and exit. Thank you,

I have tried the updated bios. Corsair doesn't have specific memory settings for this board. They basically say load defaults and set XMP to enable. I have done t his with the 7.33 bios you provided. System runs multiple passes through memtest as corsair suggest trying with no errors with those memory settings; thus it is not a memory issue. But the system still has stability issues. less than 1/2 hour into a stress test, the sytem locked up requiring a hard shut down. Then about 3 hours into another stress test, the system randomly rebooted. I look into event viewer and only see this: "The previous system shutdown at 1:50:09 AM on 4/28/2009 was unexpected" with an Event ID of 6008 I have since gone to the Corsair support forum to look for specific manual settings for the memory, but seeing as how it passes memtest with the XMP setting enabled, I don't really think it is memory related..... but I could be wrong. Please advise

Dear Customer, At this point go ahead and either try other memory which seems to be the issue or another power supply. Of course you can contact your reseller and have the board replaced but do not beleive issue is board related has to be memory or power related issue but if are just not confident in the board then again contact your reseller and have the board replaced. Thank you,

I don't really think it is a defective board, more-so an imature bios. It isn't really feasable for me to swap memory as my other machines run DDR2 and I would be having to purchase new memory just to test this. At that point, I would be more inclined to buy a new motherboard. And to say it possibly is a powersupply issue is just a guess in my opinion Are you aware of issues with this board with other users that are similar to what I am seeing?

Dear Customer, We have seen memory related issue but our bios updates have resolved many just the same bios that you were sent to customer having memory issue and bios did resolve so just could be an issue with your memory or the timings for it. Also as stated before you may want to try increasing the memory voltage in the bios to the recomended voltage for your memory. Thank you,

• Corsair Employees

I don't know but my wife is a pretty good stress test for any computer LOL :D:

You might try 3D Mark in a loop is good to stress the Graphics and there are a few that DerekT can suggest for stresssing the CPU.

On that note, what would you recommend to stress test my system?

Props to Dua|ist

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201670

Most of you know what Linpack is I guess. In case you don't, it's a benchmark designed to measure performance on Intel CPUs in GFlops. But it's also a very useful tool for checking the stability of a CPU.

Now back to topic. :) A short while ago I wrote a small interface program for it, named it LinX and hosted it on a great russian overclockers' forum http://forums.overclockers.ru.

But then I figured it might be of use for some of you here too. :D

I know there is IntelBurnTest, but I'm not a big console fan, so I like my version a little better. :)

Loading HyperThreading "cores" on Core i7 seems to be working. You can test them really hard now.

Changes in LinX v0.5.8:

- now it is not necessary to run a test for current settings to be saved

- added saving of the settings at the start of testing to prevent loosing them in case of BSOD or hang

- added an option to save Linpack's log during testing, after every completed test (decreases performance a bit when selected)

- graphs can now be shown during testing in real-time

- improvements and enhancements to graph windows, graph window positions and sizes are now saved on exit

- About and Information windows are now joined

- small fixes/improvements

Full changelog is in the archive.

First have a look at it:

[ATTACH]96357[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]96358[/ATTACH]

Now it's time for some features:

- a simple (at least when compared to original ;) ) and intuitive interface

- max available memory detection and an option to use all available mem

- both Intel and AMD CPU support (thanks Right from forums.overclockers.ru for that)

- both 32 and 64-bit Linpack support

- HyperThreading support

- elapsed, estimated and approximate finish time time displaying

- optional sound beep on error/successful pass

- and an optional Real-time error checking!

There are also some minor features like last run configuration saving, remaining time calculation, window position saving, etc. I'm too lazy to remember them all and to write them down in a readme file, so please use context hints to find out more. :)

Since it is another program that will run during Linpack testing the performance might (and eventually will) be a little slower than in 'vanilla' Linpack and IntelBurnTest. But the performance hit is usually no more than 0.03 GFlops and doesn't affect the error detection effectiveness at all.

Note that I'm rather new to programming, so there may still be some bugs left (despite my efforts to eradicate them).

And note that I'm russian, so some mistakes in text may also be present. :rolleyes:

Direct link finally (thanks to stasio!): LinX.7z.

Mirror (just in case): LinX.7z

In the LinX.7z you'll find the program itself and 2 Linpack v10.1 executables.

That's it, hope you'll like it. Should you decide to give it a try, please comment. Every feedback will be appreciated.

I understand. I am very happy with my R2E. I had an Asus P6T Deluxe previously. This is the best board I have used. Overclocking is simple, testing all comes out well.

I ran that LnX along with Prime95 and my system made it about 12 hrs before it restarted.

I have had enough witht his board and will be returning it.

I understand. I am very happy with my R2E. I had an Asus P6T Deluxe previously. This is the best board I have used. Overclocking is simple, testing all comes out well.

I'm back with an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2.

I did not do a reload (vista 64). Everything is up and running, but the system feels sluggish. Suggest doing a reload?

As far as memory settings, I just loaded defaults and set memory to 1600????

• 4 weeks later...
I'm back with an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2.

I did not do a reload (vista 64). Everything is up and running, but the system feels sluggish. Suggest doing a reload?

As far as memory settings, I just loaded defaults and set memory to 1600????

OK..... got good news.

I did rebuild my machine with an Asus. Decided to give the MSI board another shot after exchanging it. Got it home, bought new components for a second machine and had similar issues...... thought, oh great, here we go again

Downloaded the finalized version of bios 7.3 and set XMP to enabled with failsafe defaults and all is good. made a full 500 passes on LinX and 3 error free passes on memtest. Beyond the BS I went through to get this stable, and the high IOH temps, I am fairly happy with the MSI board.

Archived