Corsair Community

Noise coming from CX400

WindWalker

Hello,

I'm having a problem with this PSU (CMPSU-400CXEU). Lately I started hearing a buzzing noise coming from it (electrical noise, I guess). It only happens when the graphics card is loaded and in that situation the noise keeps coming and going.

My questions are: can this be a motive to ask for replacement/repairing where I bought it? Have you heard about this noise before?

Regards.

• Corsair Employees
If you only get the buzzing when running a 3D application, then I would try forcing Vsync "on" through either the game, or through the video driver options. If the noise disappears then it is unlikely that a replacement PSU will resolve the problem. Let us know your results!

Hi again,

I tried enabling VSync (actually, i'm running a 2D application - Folding@Home-GPU). It didn't solve the problem, but the noise pattern and sound level changed - it's quieter and much more constant.

I removed the case side panel and after some hearing tests I think the noise is coming from the PSU & the graphics card. So I guess this is a electrical noise problem due to the graphics card design - I've read about 8800GT from another manufacturer making the same noise, but didn't think of it until I read your answer - and the same noise is induced in the PSU.

I'll try with the 8400GS alone (I actually have 8400GS+8800GT, but only 8800GT is loaded when running F@H), but I don't think it needs enough power to make the noise audible.

Either way, I doubt the PSU is faulty. Besides, it has had a rock solid behaviour since purchase date :)

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
Yeah, its hard to say for sure where the noise is coming from in these cases, but if you have the same symptoms with both cards and the noise is loud enough to be bothersome, then we can try replacing the PSU for you and see if that helps. Just use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived