Corsair Community

EVGA 780i and 2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-8500C5D

percuno

I was doing fine with just an XFX 8800 GT and 2x2GB of RAM, but when I switched the video card out for a pair of BFG 9800 GTs and brough the memory up to 8GB (4x2GB) the computer started locking up and throwing error messages hither and yon. The only thing that has *almost* fixed the problem is taking out half the RAM, which i don't want to do as this is the reason I gritted my teeth and got Vista 64-bit (on a very cheap deal).

I don't overclock (although all of these nVidia GPUs are factory overclocked these days), everything is running at standard speed, I just want to make it stable. Do I jack up the voltage? Bring the speed down to 800MHz? Both?

• Corsair Employees

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

But test the modules one at a time at their tested settings to be sure one is not failing.

I'd hate to have to run my 1066 RAM at 667 :(

I'll try these settings out at 800 for a few hours under memtest or prime95, then in-game, then again under 667 if there are still problems.

I had a feeling I should have waited for the 790i and DDR3, it was only another month away.

Archived