Corsair Community

Striker II Extreme - Dominator GT 1866 (Do they work together)

dannycurtean

I have a Striker II Extreme (790i) and I am happy with it in my system. I was doing some rough number crunching just now and I figured that I am better off going to Core i7 then getting a new C2Q processor and a water cooling system. For a Rampage II Extreme, Ci7 920 and Dominator GT 1866 RAM it costs me roughly $1000 including a motherboard block from Koolance. For the C2Q upgrade, 4 gb of 1800 mhz Corsair ram + water cooling, its like 800 so its a no brainier. Its "cheaper" for the money to go to i7 now rather than later.

Now on to my question. Since I will be getting a core i7 in the near future and I only have 2 GB of Corsair 1800 mhz ram (and I desperately need more) its much more cost effective for me to get the Dominator GT modules now than the C2Q (TW3X) modules which cost about 100 dollars more and I couldnt use in my Core i7 build. Could I use the Dominator GT modules in my 790i at 1866 mhz with what ever voltage without any major problems? I would think DDR III is DDR III no matter, am I correct? Even if I only use 4 GB of the 6 GB kit, I would be ok with it as long as It runs fine without crashing at 1800 or 1866....

I want to know because if I cant use these modules at all on my S2E, or they wont work at all then I will have to buy the more expensive, higher voltage Corsair TW3X 1800 mhz ram in order to satisfy my needs for more RAM, but at the same time I would be hindering my upgrade to Core i7 for at least a year or more because then I would need to buy ram AGAIN for the Core i7 which I dont want to do. In theory it wouldn't be a problem but Id rather spend my money and get something much better for almost the same money, while knowing that when I do upgrade, the ram will stay. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Triple Channel DDR3 1800C8 is the memory I think you may like to look at and it is blisteringly fast. I would research the D0 revision of the i7 CPU and attempt to purchase that revision if possible.

Regarding the use of the 1866C7 modules. They have not been validated nor tested on the 790i platforms. Being that as it may, I have tested two machines with 1600C7 (2 X 2048) and found that it made 1600C9 and 1.65v.

I would say "yes" it will work, maybe not at the speed that it will with the i7, but it will work. 2.0v is still your headroom and the lifetime warranty for the modules.

I have a Striker II Extreme (790i) and I am happy with it in my system. I was doing some rough number crunching just now and I figured that I am better off going to Core i7 then getting a new C2Q processor and a water cooling system. For a Rampage II Extreme, Ci7 920 and Dominator GT 1866 RAM it costs me roughly $1000 including a motherboard block from Koolance. For the C2Q upgrade, 4 gb of 1800 mhz Corsair ram + water cooling, its like 800 so its a no brainier. Its "cheaper" for the money to go to i7 now rather than later.

Now on to my question. Since I will be getting a core i7 in the near future and I only have 2 GB of Corsair 1800 mhz ram (and I desperately need more) its much more cost effective for me to get the Dominator GT modules now than the C2Q (TW3X) modules which cost about 100 dollars more and I couldnt use in my Core i7 build. Could I use the Dominator GT modules in my 790i at 1866 mhz with what ever voltage without any major problems? I would think DDR III is DDR III no matter, am I correct? Even if I only use 4 GB of the 6 GB kit, I would be ok with it as long as It runs fine without crashing at 1800 or 1866....

I want to know because if I cant use these modules at all on my S2E, or they wont work at all then I will have to buy the more expensive, higher voltage Corsair TW3X 1800 mhz ram in order to satisfy my needs for more RAM, but at the same time I would be hindering my upgrade to Core i7 for at least a year or more because then I would need to buy ram AGAIN for the Core i7 which I dont want to do. In theory it wouldn't be a problem but Id rather spend my money and get something much better for almost the same money, while knowing that when I do upgrade, the ram will stay. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Triple Channel DDR3 1800C8 is the memory I think you may like to look at and it is blisteringly fast. I would research the D0 revision of the i7 CPU and attempt to purchase that revision if possible.

Regarding the use of the 1866C7 modules. They have not been validated nor tested on the 790i platforms. Being that as it may, I have tested two machines with 1600C7 (2 X 2048) and found that it made 1600C9 and 1.65v.

I would say "yes" it will work, maybe not at the speed that it will with the i7, but it will work. 2.0v is still your headroom and the lifetime warranty for the modules.

I thank you for your answer and reply to my post. I do still have a couple of questions. Although I am running my 1800C7 modules at 2Ghz right now on 99924-1t @ 1.9 V (1.44 NB) I don't necessarily NEED to run at that speed with the new modules, but I will not want anything under 1800 (on my current 790i and or X58).

That being said, I want to make sure we are talking about the same ram. My original question was regarding the 1866C7 Dominator GT (the red ones, the new ones, TR3X6G1866C7GTF G), those are the ones I want to use on my 790i. I want confirmation for sure that these were the modules that you were referring to. And since the 790i's have a higher voltage toleration than i7, shouldn't I have more headroom with the Dominator GT 1866C7 modules on my 790i? That not the issue, because I don't plan on over clocking an already amazingly fast set of RAM, just out of curiosity.

And the last question, hopefully, in theory if I got 8 GB of 1800C7 (790i generation, blue and black, TW3X4G1800C8DF) could I run those at 99924 2T 1866 @ 1.7 V on an i7? Although I prefer the new red Dominator GT modules, I just want to buy ram ONCE that lasts me several years and it HAS TO BE Corsair, always.... let me know, thanks.

I would not recommend buying 2 kits of a TWIN kit, as they aren't guaranteed together and as such, may not reach the speeds you want. It's best to just use 2 out of the 3 sticks of a triple pack on a dual channel system, and then when you upgrade to a triple channel system, add that 3rd stick in.

I would not recommend buying 2 kits of a TWIN kit, as they aren't guaranteed together and as such, may not reach the speeds you want. It's best to just use 2 out of the 3 sticks of a triple pack on a dual channel system, and then when you upgrade to a triple channel system, add that 3rd stick in.

So is that the green light for the Dominator GT?

Archived