Corsair Community

Corsair CMX3200C2 overclocking failed at 420!!!

I have recently bought one dimm of 512 mb 3200C2 xms pro rev.1.0 for which I had read in the official site of Corsair that it was guaranteed to overclock at 500 MHz... My board is an Asus P4C800 Deluxe and I tried to overclock it with timings settings: 6-3-3-2 and auto for the rest of the bios adjustments. The memory could not pass 420 MHz even at 2.9v with the above mentioned settings. With 6-3-3-2.5 timings and at 2.9v the memory can reach just 450 MHz. :[pouts: With 2*256 GEIL PC3200 Value Ram and with the same settings I can reach 470MHz at 6-3-2-2. Do I do anything wrong?Is there any known incompatibility problem? Do I have to change anything else from the BIOS settings so as to have better overclocking? :confused:

Welcome to the forums, platoon! I'm sorry, but can you please link me to where you read about it overclocking to 250MHz (PC4000)? If it runs at 200MHz (PC3200) @ 2-3-3-6, 1T, then it runs as fast as it's garaunteed to do. Corsair doesn't garauntee overclocking of it's modules, but is known for it because they do make high quality modules! About PC3700 is the fastest I've ever seen anybody overclock PC3200 PRO [b]LL[/b] modules, but not C2. PLUR CK

ill 2nd that. if corsaid guaranteed their 3200LL pros to hit 250mhz then they would never sell such a large range of products, would be nice mind. ive had my 3200 C2's up to 227 but other things started giving up then. Rob

Here is the link that says so, for overclocking up to 500MHZ (you can see it at the upper right side with bold fonts) [url]http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/xms_proseries.html[/url] Apart from that, can you please help me because I didn't expect that corsair would overclock so badly...

This is an ambiguity of the marketing department, not a statement saying PC3200 memory will reach 500MHz. They have a PC4000-PRO module which will do 500MHz, but the PC3200 [b]WILL NOT[/b]. I'll bring this to RAM GUY's attention, but I don't know what you expect him to do. PLUR CK

[quote name='CandyKid']This is an ambiguity of the marketing department, not a statement saying PC3200 memory will reach 500MHz.[/QUOTE] Agreed. That ad is only as specific as the XMS ProSeries, which covers a variety of speeds.

Thank you for your replies. As far as I know, PC 4000 run at 500MHz by default and not by overclocking... Therefore, this ad should refer to the rest of the xms pro series products, including PC 3200, since it clearly mentions overclocking.... Apart from that my memory's overclocking at just 420 at default timings is a normal one and I should be happy with it? Is there anything else I should do or should I just give them away and find something more suitable...? Thanks in advance...

give them to me !!!! no but seriously, to run a 250FSB is overclocking !!! as no CPU's have this as a native bus speed. u said u can get 225FSB at 2.5-3-3-6 which isnt bad going, has your chip got more left in it? use the 5:4 memory ratio and find out. personally i would run the low latencies, keep this memory and use 5:4 and run the chip as high as it will go. Rob

As I said before, when I had 2*256 Geil PC3200 value ram with the same board, settings and 2.9v they could run at 470 with CL2 and 1:1. I bought Corsair PC3200 XMS PRO in order to have a better overclocking than that so as to find the limits of my CPU without divider as well ... In any case I would expect more from CH-5 or CH-6 chips... Apart from that, as I said so many times before, does anybody have any suggestion to make so as to improve the overclocking of my memory? Is there any bios parameter that I should change?

Thanks for your reply, however I'm more interested in 1:1 with loose timings instead of 5:4 divider with hard timings. Furthermore, as far as I know CH-X chips don't work with >270FSB and divider. Any other suggestion?

• Corsair Employees
First thing, that add when it was released was for XMS4000Pro as there was no XMS3200Pro at that time and initially we did not plan on releasing a slower speed grade. However, I will ask our marketing to get this add either removed or updated ASAP!

whats this about CH-X not working with a divider?????? where did this come from, ive used mine with a multiplyer and i cant see any reason why the Ram wouldnt work with a divider, after all as far as the Ram would know if could be running 1:1 at the speed its being accessed it is no differant to running at any other speed. If you can provide a link to where u have heard of this i would be interested. What kind of bus speed is your chip hitting anyway ? i would at least use the divider to take the ram out of the picture and see what your max FSB is, then once u have a figure see which way would be best to go. I think if your over 235 FSB your asking too much from the 3200 C2 which is meant for tight timings at lower speeds, the chips used in the 4000 and up series cannot run tight timings at lower speeds but love FSB. Until u know what your max is its hard to say what would be best, but now u have some great Ram i would say running 5:4 for you in this instance would be more beneficail to take advantage of the Ram you have, assuming u are over 235 on the FSB. Rob

Archived