Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX causing BSOD in Vista

I recently purchased the Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX kit to add to the TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX kit I already have. I installed the new sticks for a total of 6 GB and ran Memtest+ on them for about 10 passes, with no errors reported. I'm running them at the stock timings and voltage of 5-5-5-18 and 1.8V. Now, from the point when I first booted the system after installing the new RAM, I can't quite remember the order of the following errors (I wish I had taken notes!), but I do remember all of the strange things that happened on several reboots so bear with me if things seem a bit out of order.

One of the things that went wrong is when the initial BIOS screen appeared after a boot from power off: it showed more RAM during the RAM check than what's actually installed and it froze at the DMI pool verify step. After rebooting from this, sometimes the BIOS would freeze at the RAM check step, but other times it would get as far as my boot menu. When Vista did try to load, a very brief blue screen flashed and the system rebooted again. When the Vista boot options screen appeared and I chose to boot Windows normally, everything would work fine and I wouldn't notice anything out of the ordinary in Vista itself (Vista showed my system having the full 6 GB). I could soft-reboot from within Vista and not have any problems like this for days, but I would seemingly always have this problem when cold-booting.

A few days after this, I noticed that my computer had rebooted by itself while I was away from it. After keeping a closer eye on my PC, I found out what had happened when I got a blue screen in Vista that said something along the lines that my computer was being shut down in order to protect it for damage.

I decided to remove the two older 1GB sticks and run my system on just the two newer 2GB sticks for a day. I ran another 10 passes on the new RAM in Memtest+ which still did not report any errors. I didn't seem to get the freezes at the BIOS RAM check anymore, but after running my system for around 24 hours I did get that same blue screen/reboot in Vista I had gotten previously. I don't quite remember the first few specific error codes when this happened days ago, but I did write down this last one: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. When my system rebooted this time, I would hear the one beep indicating no major errors, but my computer would immediately reboot without showing anything on the screen. This turned into an endless loop and I powered off my PC by holding down the power button for 5 seconds, but about 5 seconds later, my PC would turn back on by itself! I eventually had to flip the switch on my power supply quickly during

this brief period my PC was off.

I put the older sticks back in and took out the new ones, and now I'm wondering if they are bad and I should RMA them. Anyone have an idea what could be going wrong here?

Thanks in advance for helping!

• Corsair Employees
With just the new modules installed please go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to +.3 Volts and set the memory frequency at DDR1066 and set the tested timings to Cas 5-5-5-15 and then exit the BIOS saving changes and test them with http://www.memtest.org if they pass then run it for a few days and see if the system is more stable.

Thanks for the suggestion! I do have to wonder though, shouldn't the RAM run at stock timings/voltage with no problems? The 2GB of Corsair RAM I have currently never had to be overclocked in order for it to work properly. I do have about 10 days left before my 30-day RMA period runs out at the retailer I bought the new RAM from, so I'm trying to decide if I should just send it back now and get a replacement or try what you suggested and take a chance it'll work in the future. Thoughts?

• Corsair Employees

They are tested at the tested settings only they should post at the default settings but running them at the default settings may or may not pass.

But if they pass at the tested settings doing an RMA may not solve the problem.

OK, I'll give it a try. One more thing, will overclocking the RAM like you said void the warranty? If I were to try the new settings and the RAM still makes my PC unstable and I have to send it back to the retailer I bought it from, they should still accept it, right? Just want to make sure beforehand.

I went ahead and put the new RAM back in and used the BIOS settings you recommended, however the PC would not boot at DDR1066, so right now I have the memory set at DDR800, 5-5-5-15, and +.3 volts.

You wanted me to change the system memory multiplier in the BIOS and leave the CPU host frequency at the default setting, right? Also when I changed the multiplier, the BIOS flashed a red warning message wanting me to set the system voltage control to Auto to allow the BIOS to set optimized voltages, but I left it at manual. If I try to set the RAM at 1066 again, should I set voltage control to Auto like the BIOS wanted? Or do I need to set the RAM at 1066 at all if my system is stable at the current settings?

I'll do some testing and tell you how it turns out.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived