Corsair Community

750TX Power Supply Related Issue

deltaoper8or

So I recently upgraded from a 450w PSU to a 750w PSU (Corsair 750TX).

The issue I'm having is after about 4 or 5 hours of idling my PC shuts off. I checked the voltages and temps after installation and everything looked good. Is it possible I'm getting a slow heat build up in the PSU over 4 or 5 hours? Or maybe a voltage problem over that period of time?

One of the times it shut off while I was at work. When I came home I had to reset the PSU (cycle the power switch) to get the PC to turn on again.

I added an additional 4 GB of RAM shortly before upgrading the power supply as well. I'm not sure if this may be the culprit, but I'm leaning towards something with the power supply.

I have no idea what is causing this.

System info is -

Asus P5N-D

Intel Core2 Quad Q9450

8.0GB Corsair DDR2 800

Nvidia 9800GTX

Ok, I've got some further info. When I came home from work today the PC was still on, but it was frozen. I cycled it and got a h/w monitor error on boot. Went into the setup and I was only getting about 9.7V from my 12V. All other voltages are fine.

I turned it off, checked the 12V connector and fired it back up. I went into setup and the 12V said it was at 11.5V and from there it began to slowly drop. It's been about 20 minutes now and I'm down to 10.43V.

Doesn't sound like a PSU issue, I would run http://www.memtest.org on the system and make sure you are not getting any errors picked up. I would also see if you can duplicate the same issues if you remove the new memory and go back to 2x 2GB, just to rule out a possible memory related problem.

I pulled the two newly installed ram sticks and I'm still seeing the voltage slowly drop. Could this still a ram issue?

• Corsair Employees

BIOS and software voltage readings are rarely 100% accurate and can be off by quite a bit. I would test the PSU in a different system and see if you can reproduce the same problems. If so, then lets get it replaced!

You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

I would still run memtest to be sure you are not running into a loading issue on the chipset when populating all four slots on the motherboard. Here is an article which describes some issues you can run into when using 4 modules in your system:

http://www.corsair.com/_appnotes/AN806_Memory_Upgrade_Resource_Guide.pdf

Archived