Corsair Community

Is my power supply dead?

Gnobulix

As I was browsing the internet yesterday, my computer suddenly stopped and refused to start again. No fans turning, no HD spin, no signs whatsoever.

I immediately thought that my PS had died, which was surprising since it was a Corsair HX620 that I bought in august 2008. As suggested on the Corsair FAQ, I tried shorting the green wire and a black one on the 24-pin connector with a paper clip. The fan didn't start when the PS was turned on.

I then proceeded to connect an older 500 W PS (Antec SP-500) that a friend had. I first connected the two motherboard connectors (4 and 24 pin) with the PS outside the case to see if it worked. The fans spun and MB LED lit and the computer was seemingly booting.

Satisfied that I had found the problem, I installed the SP-500 in the case and connected everything. When I tried to power the system, it refused again to start, displaying the same symptoms! I also noticed a very weak "psssht" noise coming from the PS whenever I tried to power the system. I tried the 24-pin paper clip short trick and it didn't work either. I guess I could buy a multimeter to check this issue further.

What is happening to my computer? Is there a short circuit somewhere that fries the Power supplies? It would be strange since the system has been working flawlessly since last September.

Have I fried my motherboard? if anyone has any idea, please tell me, I'm stuck on this one.

here are the specs of my rig:

EVGA E-GEFORCE GTX 260

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

Mushkin Ascent PC2-8500 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1066

Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive

Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX Triple 12V 50A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply

OCZ Vendetta 2 Triple Heatpipe CPU Heatsink with Noctua NF-P12-1300

• Corsair Employee

If the PSU is not starting up when jumping the black and green pins, then lets get it replaced. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Does the 500w PSU still work when installed outside the case? If you only have problems with it when its installed in the system, then there is likely a short or grounding issue somewhere, and you may want to remove anything from the motherboard that is not 100% necessary and see if you can isolate the problem.

thank you for your help. I have since obtained my RMA number.

I will try to check if there are any grounding issues. It would be surprising though, considering that everything was working well till the computer shut down by itself.

Archived