Corsair Community

TW3X4G1333C9DHX with MSI X58 Platinum M/B

cedunham

In December I bought an MSI X58 Platinum motherboard, a Core i7 920 CPU and a 4 GB, TW3X4G1333C9DHX memory kit. After building the system and upgrading my case to improve the cooling, I have been running fine.

Earlier this month I noticed the TW3X4G1333C9DHX memory was on sale, so I bought two more kits to fill my motherboard up with the maximum amount of memory it can handle. Unfortunately, the system will not POST with more than two sticks of the memory. I have tried placing varying numbers of sticks in the system, in various slots, and manually adjusting the voltages and timings on the BIOS to match those on the RAM itself, but nothing works. My system will still boot with two sticks in the original slots, but it will not work in any other combination.

I have upgraded the BIOS to the latest version, which was published earlier this month. I have been happy with the first 4 GB of memory, and would like to use the rest, but I will have to RMA it if I can't get it working.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, Corsair will not exchange the modules, so this solution isn't very helpful for my situation. I certainly won't be buying any more memory from Corsair.

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, Corsair will not exchange the modules, so this solution isn't very helpful for my situation. I certainly won't be buying any more memory from Corsair.

Call me crazy, but if you look up that board in Corsair's memory configurator, it doesn't suggest that memory. So it is Corsair's fault you bought the wrong memory?

Call me crazy, but if you look up that board in Corsair's memory configurator, it doesn't suggest that memory. So it is Corsair's fault you bought the wrong memory?

And five months after purchase? :D:

True, I should have checked the configurator first. Silly me, thinking that a major manufacturer would make their memory compatible with a major manufacturer's motherboards. . .

And five months after purchase? :D:

Did you read the thread? I never said it didn't work in dual channel mode. The problem came when I upgraded, five months after purchase, as you point out, to try and use tri-channel mode. Thanks for the productive input though.

Did you read the thread? I never said it didn't work in dual channel mode. The problem came when I upgraded, five months after purchase, as you point out, to try and use tri-channel mode. Thanks for the productive input though.
In December I bought an MSI X58 Platinum motherboard, a Core i7 920 CPU and a 4 GB, TW3X4G1333C9DHX memory kit. After building the system and upgrading my case to improve the cooling, I have been running fine.

Yes, I read the thread. Nothing I said had or has anything to do with Dual Channel. You have the wrong memory for the platform and you continue to blame Corsair. You bought i7 in December AND Core 2 memory, not i7 memory. You want to RMA the memory five months later because you bought the wrong memory or wanted to transition it from Core 2 (Used this past five months) to i7. Sigh!!!

Yes, you are probably better off going to some other company and blaming them for YOUR own poor research.

You do not see the productive input since you refuse to take responsibility for your research and your choices.

Yes, I read the thread. Nothing I said had or has anything to do with Dual Channel. You have the wrong memory for the platform and you continue to blame Corsair. You bought i7 in December AND Core 2 memory, not i7 memory. You want to RMA the memory five months later because you bought the wrong memory or wanted to transition it from Core 2 (Used this past five months) to i7. Sigh!!!

Yes, you are probably better off going to some other company and blaming them for YOUR own poor research.

You do not see the productive input since you refuse to take responsibility for your research and your choices.

Obviously, your reading skills don't extend to actual comprehension. Nowhere did I ever blame Corsair for my choosing the wrong memory for my motherboard. My problem with them is that they will not accept an exchange for the four BRAND NEW, UNUSED modules I bought.

And I still don't see any productive input from you, just empty posing.

You bought i7 in December AND Core 2 memory, not i7 memory.

:bigeyes: Is there i7 and Core 2 memory?

I always thought that there is DDR2 memory, DDR3 memory and so on.

Could you please recommend some reading? I would like to self educate in this area.

:bigeyes: Is there i7 and Core 2 memory?

I always thought that there is DDR2 memory, DDR3 memory and so on.

Could you please recommend some reading? I would like to self educate in this area.

There is memory that has been registered, validated and tested to comply at the JEDEC level. This memory is then validated and tested both at the IC and Module level to conform to the extended frequencies.

At the JEDEC level, it doesn't matter since those voltage values are still underneath the 1.6 - 1.65v max. umbrella for i7 and DDR3. However, many modules that follow greater than JEDEC values and created for the previous Intel/AMD architecture will not work correctly in i7 machines.

TW3X4G1333C9DHX modules are 1333MHz 1.6V modules, they comply JEDEC requiremens, do they?

I thought that JEDEC memories should always work, in this case 6 pieces CM3X2G1333C9DHX no matter if bought individually, twin or triple packages.

I probably do not understand it so sorry.

TW3X4G1333C9DHX modules are 1333MHz 1.6V modules, they comply JEDEC requiremens, do they?

I thought that JEDEC memories should always work, in this case 6 pieces CM3X2G1333C9DHX no matter if bought individually, twin or triple packages.

I probably do not understand it so sorry.

At the JEDEC level, it doesn't matter since those voltage values are still underneath the 1.6 - 1.65v max. umbrella for i7 and DDR3. However, many modules that follow greater than JEDEC values and created for the previous Intel/AMD architecture will not work correctly in i7 machines.

So yes, you are somewhat correct that at the 1333C9 level and with 1.6v modules, as I say above. However, that being said, the memory still has not been tested or validated with i7.

No, JEDEC memories do not always work. Even modules of different fabrications and versions may not play nice together, and are NOT supported as such even though they conform to the JEDEC standards. Which is one reason why there is a QVL at both the motherboard level and on every DRAM Manufacturing website. That is the reason for matched pairs and matched triples; to gain an IC compatibility. Corsair also sells 8GB Quad and 12GB Six Module kits.

In the QVL list or test reports made by motherboard manufacturers there are very rarely twin or triple packages listed.

Mostly there is code of memory module such as CM3X1024-1066C7 for MSI Platinum X58 and working configurations.

And if you put there twin or triple package and it is not working because of motherboard, they can refuse RMA based on this, because twin or triple packages are not in the QVL but number of particular memory module.

I guess you are purposely wrong with this i7 and Core memory. But anyway CM3X2G1333C9DHX is not listed in the QVL for MSI Platinum X58 motherboard so it is not guaranteed that it will work.

PS:

I like Corsair memories and have Corsair memories and I am very satisfied, so when I say do not dig so deep in the Corsair arse, I mean it in bona fide.

In the QVL list or test reports made by motherboard manufacturers there are very rarely twin or triple packages listed.

Mostly there is code of memory module such as CM3X1024-1066C7 for MSI Platinum X58 and working configurations.

And if you put there twin or triple package and it is not working because of motherboard, they can refuse RMA based on this, because twin or triple packages are not in the QVL but number of particular memory module.

All dual module kits are pre i7 modules. All triple module kits are i7 modules. It's not rocket science, and again, you are the purchaser and by necessity must research your product.

RMA is a process for dealing with memory errors. This has nothing to do with hardware purchased in error. There is NO support for memory purchased in error. It is up to the purchaser to research and decide what product they want and what product will work well with their hardware.

I guess you are purposely wrong with this i7 and Core memory. But anyway CM3X2G1333C9DHX is not listed in the QVL for MSI Platinum X58 motherboard so it is not guaranteed that it will work.

No, I am not purposefully wrong. I am giving factual truths above and if you can not accept this, then it behooves you to contact Corsair directly and ask them about their warranties and just what the RMA procedure is in point of fact.

Corsair memory falls under a lifetime warranty for defects or physical errors in the memory. If you find any Corsair memory to be damaged, then regardless of platform, you will be under the Corsair Lifetime Warranty. There is no warranty if you purchase the wrong memory. Possibly the point of purchase may allow you to return for other product, but certainly not five months later.

I like Corsair memories and have Corsair memories and I am very satisfied, so when I say do not dig so deep in the Corsair arse, I mean it in bona fide.

I find this last remark distasteful. Just because you do not like the information I am giving you does not give you the right to insult me.

To clarify all of this, Corsair will always replace a part with the same part. Corsair cannot guarantee that 2 individual packs will run together since they have not tested them in that configuration.

And to reiterate the rules, please do N O T go around the forum filter.

To all: I will NOT let this start into a flame war. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. If you persist saying nasty things to each other, you'll get a 24 hour ban. Note that there's nothing wrong with having an intelligent discussion / disagreement.

If you persist saying nasty things to each other, you'll get a 24 hour ban. Note that there's nothing wrong with having an intelligent discussion / disagreement.

Each other??? Where am I saying anything nasty???

• Corsair Employees

DerekT

It was not directed at you; I think Wired was just stating that the reply's from one of the users was not appropriate and was trying to keep the thread from getting out of hand no worries!

And to who ever posted that they were having a problem with out me going back through this whole thread we can try replacing he modules but from the just of what I did get it sounds like the user just got the wrong memory and doing an RMA may not solve the problem. But if you want to try it by all means go for it, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it.

DerekT

It was not directed at you; I think Wired was just stating that the reply's from one of the users was not appropriate and was trying to keep the thread from getting out of hand no worries!

Sure thing RAM GUY. Nasty things to each other means only one thing to me though, that both are engaged in it.

Now a couple of years ago, I would have responded quite differently to being told my head is up the backside of Corsair. :D:

"That's Why It Smells Like Kenny's House"

. http://www.ablog.ro/img/200703/13749.gif

Archived