Corsair Community

atihd4870\tx650w critical Core power fault

hikuri

hi

abouth a month ago i noticed a red led on my graphic card,ive searched the net and it means (d601 critical core power fault)

once i checked the temps on the card vrm i noticed something was wrong 130ºc+. if i power cycle the system the led goes away, but if i enter a 3d aplication the led lights up and if i insist playing the system gets instable the driver fails and boom ... bluescreen.

at first i thought it was the videocard so i send it to rma, only to find out that it ranned furmark for hours without a problem,once i got it back and reasembled to my system the problem continued.

ive tested another videocard on my system,although its an older an weaker card it worked without a problem,so im guessing theres nothing wrong with the mobo either.

ive done everything imaniginable (bios updates,downclocks,reseats,change mobo slot) but the led doesnt go away.

every thing points to the psu wich by the way makes a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii if i enter any 3dapp,and the c1e thing didnt solved it.

can it be a psu problem? should i rma it?

sorry for my bad english

Best regards from Portugal

Nuno

I have seen quite a few reports of the VRM's on 4870's overheating and burning out, which causes the critical core power fault. Since you mention seeing your VRM's at 130ºc (125ºC is absolute max), I'd say you need to RMA the card.

I have seen quite a few reports of the VRM's on 4870's overheating and burning out, which causes the critical core power fault. Since you mention seeing your VRM's at 130ºc (125ºC is absolute max), I'd say you need to RMA the card.

ive already done that,the card is ok.at least thats what the retailer techsupport say.

• Corsair Employees
It really sounds like more of a video card issue, but if you have already had it replaced, and you know that the motherboard is not the problem, then we can try replacing the PSU for you. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived