Corsair Community

120mm black aluminium fan filter guards!

eva2000

:sunglasse Yup ordered some from [url]http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod604.htm[/url] and intend to install them on the outside of the Hydrocool case concave side facing inwards. No need for the stock grills since the aluminium is pretty strong and hard :) So opening up the unit... any tips ? :)

You don't need to open the case to install the filters....just unscrew the fan guard screws from the outside and they come right off.......and screw the filters back on..........But to open the case all you have to do is remove the 4 screws in the lower corners and the cover will lift right off.

Eva, With the H200 original (non-EX) there are two piece push pins holding the fan grills on - not screws (at least on mine). You pull the center push pin out then the larger rivet style push pin will pull out with a little effort. I originally used the metal type of filter shown below the one you purchased on your link. The fan opening on the plexiglass cover is slightly larger than 120mm so at the 12/3/6/9 o'clock positions of the hole wasn't quite covered by the filter so I used black electrical tape on the backside of the filter to cover those areas and the draw of the fan sealed it up fairly nicely. YOUR choice of fliter might cover the hole better and will look more professional than the chrome one I originally used. To install the new filter remove the grill as stated above, to install the new filter, the push pins aren't long enough to penetrate through both probably (mine weren't) so you just push in the larger rivet style and it's sturdy enough to hold it in place. I hense was able to get my hands on a pair of H200 EX filters by luck (cann't begin to tell you how I lucked out on that one) and still only use the rivet style push pin without the locking center pin pushed in. I plan to tap the how and use machine screws one day soon as the plastic pins will not last forever pushing them in and out for cleaning the inside of the system. Hope this helps.

Bio-Hazard, If he unscrews the finger guards fasteners, he will be there all day. :D: Those are push-pin snap fasteners by ITW/Fastex. The plunger in the middle of the fastener is pulled out first with your finger nails. The locking pin is removed simply with a pocket knife tool can-opener blade. That blade is the one with the circular hook in it. Just slip the can-opener blade between the locking pin and the finger guard and twist outward some. You can mount the square filter guards with fine thread 8-32 screws. And yes, the hole is bigger than the guard. We had cheated by printing out on thick computer transparence sheets in black, punched out the opening and four holes, and mounted this as a back plate for that opening. Not to shabby compared to electrical tape. One overclocking site did a review and added these square filters. [url]www.AMDmb.com[/url] See attached. Morrisgs, That is one nice aluminum square filter guard. Do you have any pictures to share? :laughing: Stev

Wish I did. I'm still in the stone age with camera's (still have a 110). The only picture I have showing the H200 itself was taken shortly after I built the system, scanned but doesn't show the filters on the unit. They worked great. I shortly thereafter switched to black plastic type similar to what you have shown which were easier to clean without having to remove the whole filter/push pins. Finally, I'm a proud owner of H200[I]EX[/I] filters which look even more professional :D:

[quote name='stev']Bio-Hazard, If he unscrews the finger guards fasteners, he will be there all day. :D: Those are push-pin snap fasteners by ITW/Fastex. The plunger in the middle of the fastener is pulled out first with your finger nails. The locking pin is removed simply with a pocket knife tool can-opener blade. That blade is the one with the circular hook in it. Just slip the can-opener blade between the locking pin and the finger guard and twist outward some. You can mount the square filter guards with fine thread 8-32 screws. And yes, the hole is bigger than the guard. We had cheated by printing out on thick computer transparence sheets in black, punched out the opening and four holes, and mounted this as a back plate for that opening. Not to shabby compared to electrical tape. One overclocking site did a review and added these square filters. [url]www.AMDmb.com[/url] See attached. Morrisgs, That is one nice aluminum square filter guard. Do you have any pictures to share? :laughing: Stev[/QUOTE] Thank guys, the aluminium filters arrived and they cover the entire HC200 whole nicely... no gaps :) The filter is very very strong and is like a tea strainer hehe I'll take before and after pics later on just benching my P4 3.4C@3895mhz with HC200 kit :) just thought about cleaning the filter, i guess a wipe down once a week would be adequate ?

Don't wipe them as you'll just force the crud/dust into the filter where it will eventually come out into the fan then the rad. Instead wash the filter(s) under running water with the water flowing from the clean side to the dirty side to flush the gunk back through the filter and out. Just flowing clean water through them until it flows cleanly should suffice quite nicely.

[quote name='madmat']Don't wipe them as you'll just force the crud/dust into the filter where it will eventually come out into the fan then the rad. Instead wash the filter(s) under running water with the water flowing from the clean side to the dirty side to flush the gunk back through the filter and out. Just flowing clean water through them until it flows cleanly should suffice quite nicely.[/QUOTE] or vacuum clean them :D

eva2000, I do believe that madmat is correct. If it is a tea strainer, then wiping it will only strain the dust bunnies into the HC. A good rinse will do or using a good vacuum will be best. Glad that these filters work well with you. Enjoy your tea as well! :laughing: Stevan

Archived