Corsair Community

Question

Buttface

I have the HX620 and an Asus GTX295, when I load crysis it I hear buzzing sounds from the PSU and after 10minutes of gameplay the pc crashes. Other games like GTR-Evolution work ok.

Do I have a faulty PSU? Any Ideas on how to troubleshoot?

One thing I have to ask, there are 2 PCI-E connectors on the PSU, I have plugged in them in the GTX, I guess that is how one should do it?

I tried COD 5 and maxed everything and that one worked. Anyone have any ideas?

I have disabled the C1E & EIST in bios, still have to check the sync thingy. However I doubt that it will solve anything.

Is there anyone else that can verify that the 620W corsair combined with GTX295 is working?

• Corsair Employees

I would run http://www.memtest.org to make sure you do not have a memory related issue causing the shut downs. If the memory checks out, then there has got to be something wrong with either the Crysis installation or the graphics driver.

The HX620 should have no problem at all powering your system with the GTX295.

• Corsair Employees
I haven't done the memtest, however I turned on vsync and the buzzing noise is gone? does anyone have a clue how this can effect the PSU so that one gets buzzing sounds?

If vsync resolves the issue, then the source of the buzzing is likely the video card or possibly the video drivers. You may want to try both the latest video driver available from Asus, along with the one available directly from nVidia and see if there is any difference.

• Corsair Employees

We can try replacing the PSU for you if you like, just use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

However, we have seen that poor voltage regulation on some video cards can send feedback up the PCIE cable and cause a capacitor in the PSU to buzz, so the noise coming from the PSU would not indicate that the PSU is the cause 100% of the time. If possible I would test the PSU in a different system and make sure you can duplicate the same issues before having it replaced.

• 1 month later...
I have a bfg tech gtx 280 ocx and whenever I play any game a strange buzzing comes out of the power-supply. I don't know what to do. How do you turn vsync off? Is that vertical sync in the nvidia menu? I tried turning that off and it didn't do anything. Everything runs fine, it just doesn't sound good. I'm debating buying a more powerfull power supply.

Archived