Corsair Community

Value Select 256MB Ram Gives Only 16 MB

kentalex

I just purchased two VS256MB133A RAM sticks to upgrade the 256 MB of RAM on my legacy 1GHz Pentium III with a Intel Mainboard Model CA810E to 512 MB. After replacing just one of the original 128 MB RAM sticks, my computer booted up and show a total of 144 MB of RAM, the 128 MB RAM stick in the first memory slot plus just 16 MB of the 256 MB RAM stick in the second memory slot. I did this with the other VS256MB133A RAM stick and got the same result. When I put the new 256 MB RAM stick in the first memroy slot, the computer stops booting up and gives the error message, "While initializing device IOS, an I/O subsystem driver failed to load. Either a file in .\iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt or the system is low on memory. System halted." I suspect the system is low on memory since the Corsair stick seems to only allow 16MB to be available. How do I fix this?

• Corsair Employees
The i810 chipset requires low density x8 IC's to be used. The modules that you have are high density. The part that you would need to work on that board is VS256MB-133. The same part # you have now without the A. If you have any other questions please let me know. Thanks!

Who at Corsair would know which Peninsula and South Bay retailers would carry the VS256MB-133 RAM sticks? I have tried Fry's, Best Buy, Central Computer Systems, Microcenter and PC Club to no avail. I work in Sunnyvale. Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
We do not track the inventory of our resellers that closely. We do have a where to buy section that lists both online and storefront locations. With the part that you are interested in I would recommend looking online.

Archived