Corsair Community

Why so many bad power supplies lately?

coolrunnings

During the last year or two I've purchased numerous Corsair power supplies for use in my company's builds. We're running modest specs like Intel E8400/Nvidia 8400GS/4gb RAM/500gb on the 400 and 450 watt models. Recently I've had 3 out of a batch of 20 fail within 3 months of purchase. They just up and stop working. This is having a really negative impact on my customers perceptions of the quality of our computers. Have you switched to using a lower quality component in these? I hear that the same manufacturer that made the infamous Antec SmartPower units is who makes these and that makes me quite nervous purchasing any more Corsair power supplies.

Secondly, is there any test I can run to verify that the Corsair PSUs I currently have in the field are not about to go? I would greatly appreciate it if you guys at Corsair could examine my next two units that I'll be RMAing soon here to see why we keep getting failures so frequently and let me know if there's anything I can do preventatively short of replacing the units with a competitor's product...

• Corsair Employees
I just checked with the PSU Product manager and he told me there has been no change to the BOM we are still using the same build as the first unit and they are made for us by Seasonic. I would like to have you RMA those units directly with us so we can do some failure analysis on them. Please call me on Monday after 9:00 AM Pacific Time at 800-205-7657 and ask for Ram Guy.

You guys (Corsair) need to check with Seasonic. I read that they are under contract to specifically use better components on your units than theirs and any other company that gets their PSUs from them. You guys need to make sure they're actually doing that.

Archived