Corsair Community

Asus P5Q-SE2 and TWIN2X4096-6400C5

3tones

I am having trouble with my Asus P5Q-SE2 and TWIN2X4096-6400C5. When running memtest 2.01, I get many errors. I have tried many configurations, and here is what works and what doesn't:

DIMM_A1 w/module #1: OK

DIMM_A1 w/module #2: OK

DIMM_B1 w/module #1: OK

DIMM_B1 w/module #2: OK

DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 filled: frequent errors

DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 filled: frequent errors

DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B2 filled: OK

The manual says for 2 dimms, I should put the memory in DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1. I've tried voltages 1.8 to 2.0, Manually setting the speed to 800Mhz and 667 Mhz, disable/enable memory remap, and disabling legacy USB support. I cannot seem to get memtest to run without errors on the recommended slot configuration. Can someone help me out?

Thanks,

Tom

Don't put any time in on this one yet. It appears that all I needed to do was push the Northbridge Voltage to 1.2 (from the default of 1.1) and it appears to be working ok now. I will run memtest and post the final outcome.

Good news - memtest ran 2 passes without error. So, from default settings for Asus P5Q-SE2 and TWIN2X4096-6400C5 I changed the Northbridge Voltage to 1.2 (from the default of 1.1) and things are working fine.

Well done. Good research on the default voltage of the MCH.

Good news - memtest ran 2 passes without error. So, from default settings for Asus P5Q-SE2 and TWIN2X4096-6400C5 I changed the Northbridge Voltage to 1.2 (from the default of 1.1) and things are working fine.

• 4 months later...

An update:

I reloaded this box with Windows and proceeded to copy 400GB of data to the new drives. I'm paranoid, so I ran MD5's on the source (linux) and destination (windows on this box). I found that files were randomly corrupted, and MD5's randomly not right when verifying them (they would be right the second time). After hours of troubleshooting, I finally pushed the voltages a touch. I pushed a few just because. From the defaults, my voltages are:

Memory Voltage +.01V

North Bridge Voltage +.02V

South Bridge Voltage +.01V

I know these are small changes, but are there any risks I should be aware of by pushing these up a little? I know people push them farther than that, so I'm not too concerned... I just don't fully understand the consequences of what I'm doing.

The files no longer corrupt when copied, and the MD5's all checkout. This was an odd problem. I compared 2 pictures that didn't match from the source to destination, and just one bit in the middle of the file was different.

Ok... I'm getting frustrated now, and I'm not sure what the problem is...

I started copying my files again to the final destination, and I'm getting corrupted files again. (copying NTFS->NTFS via WinXP, on seperate SATA drives in the same machine) I tried pushing the memory voltage to 2.1, and it seems to get better, but I haven't pushed it higher than that. I'm trying to narrow down the problem, so I ran memtest overnight, and so far it has 9 passes with no errors. However, my problem still remains.

Once again, I know this is a memory forum. Can someone give me some clues as to what it might be, since the memory seems OK? Is my mobo crap?

Finally... some peace.

I ran memtest for 24+ hours. It ran over 30 times with 0 errors, so I knew it wasn't the RAM or my voltage settings. I finally decided to pull a RAM chip, so I only was running 2GB. Since then, everything is perfect. I knew that windows xp 32bit doesn't always support 4GB useable memory, but I didn't think it would have problems with it.

Archived