Corsair Community

Twin3x2048-1333c9 g v1.1 1.70v on x58

ghost2501

I would first like to say its the third time I got screwed buying corsair when v1.1 or a v1.2 of the same model number is completley different or incompatible.

Second I go to the corsair website and download the pdf for this TWIN3X2048-1333C9 memory and it says "Tested together at 1333MHz, Vdimm =

1.60V, at latency settings of 9-9-9-24"

I bought it because the pdf says 1.6V why does it come to my house and say 1.7V on it? My v1.1 memory says 1.70V on it so I cant use it on my p6t6 ws revolution or can I?

If I were to put this in a new x58 system will it make the mobo boot at 1.7 or will the mobo automatically lower it?

Can I send this to corsair for some v1.2 so i can get what is on your pdf file on your website you know the place you go to get information about the things you are buying to find out later its not so?

This memory is also in the motherboard manual as listed supported specifically but they may be referring to the 1.6 version. It aslo says 1.6v at newegg.com also

• Corsair Employees
I would first like to say its the third time I got screwed buying corsair when v1.1 or a v1.2 of the same model number is completely different or incompatible.

A: If the memory was the same part number it will be the same IC only maybe a different version of the IC and that we may have no control over. In addition, we have never suggested mixing memory with any part and only guarantee the tested settings for how they are sold IE one set. So I am not sure what you meant by you got screwed, maybe you were miss informed?

Second I go to the corsair website and download the pdf for this TWIN3X2048-1333C9 memory and it says "Tested together at 1333MHz, Vdimm =

1.60V, at latency settings of 9-9-9-24"

A: The PDF was written with the first release and unfortunately memory IC's are continually updated with DIE revisions to enhance the yield (Out of our control) So when the IC maker does a DIE revision that will change the properties of the IC's some times and it takes 12 weeks start to finish to make one DIE so with thi8s in mind On memory IC maker might not have product for us one week and we have to find another source IE different version of our modules as they will be based on another IC. So I do understand the need to upgrade as I have done it my self but memory is not like it was well actually it more of a MB issue as they have became less tolerant of miss matched memory. But it is nothing new it has been an issue ever since I can remember just it has been more pronounced with faster memory speeds.

If I were to put this in a new x58 system will it make the mobo boot at 1.7 or will the mobo automatically lower it?

A: I would not suggest these parts for a I7 Platform but if you did use them I would not go over 1.65 Volts (Intel's Maximum Voltage for that platform), but they will be able to work just you may have to run them at DDR1066 because you cannot set the memory Voltage to the tested voltage of the modules IE 1.7 Volts.

Can I send this to corsair for some v1.2 so i can get what is on your pdf file on your website you know the place you go to get information about the things you are buying to find out later its not so?

I have no problem with you doing an RMA but there is no way we can promise a specific version of the modules they will replace them with the same part number of what ever version is available. sorry!

But if you want to try that, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

This memory is also in the motherboard manual as listed supported specifically but they may be referring to the 1.6 version. It aslo says 1.6v at newegg.com also

I am sorry about that but we have little or no control over what our resellers post on their site. But this module is not listed on our memory configurator. The correct Part as listed in TR3X3G1333C9 for Core I7 MB's.

well when I "got screwed" before was buying a part number xxxxxxx and it says v1.1 on it and then I buy another part that is the same exact xxxxxxx but it says v1.24a etc on it. There is no place to really put that where you buy stuff and when you go to your website the pdf dosent say anything so most people (that havent had this happen to them before with corsair) would assume the same link they bought a part from one month may be able to buy the same part and have it work only 24 days later. This was not so since v1.1 v1.23 v1.24a etc etc seem not to work together. That, I would call Sir, is getting screwed when you have to send the memory back thankfully if you can or bite it and sell it on ebay to redeem some money loss.

So other than the golden corsair rule of, even if you order the same part number the memory wont match and be prepared, I thought I was doing right this time looking on the corsair website for the Twin3x2048-1333c9 pdf and seeing it said 1.6v, and webistes and forums people are talking about 1.6 on the side, I figured it would you know be 1.6v. If it said on your website in the pdf there is a 1.7v version I may have hesitated. So i guess every person in the whole world is supposed to ask everytime they buy the same part number if they are compatible, you must be busy.

I see you have a compatibility list do you have a cross comptibility list for memort with v1.1 and v1.2 cross compatibility. I wouldnt thing a set of Twin3x2048-1333c9 that says 1.7 on the side and on that says 1.6 would be compatible also I am sure you have different versions like in the past are the same voltage, same part number, same link, same pdf but are incompatible.

I didnt plan on using these for i7 except that I ordered 12g of dominator 1600 speed and wanted to use this pair I got for 20$ for testing and since it does show up in the p6t6 ws revolution manual as compatible. I just wanted to be able to check a week and a half early if my mother board and cpu worked to save time incase they didnt. I dont think that is too unreasonable. One reason I am buying 12g of dominators instead of 6g is you certainly cant expect to be able to buy the same part number even a month later and have them be compatible. if I bought 6G now and wanted to buy 6G to match only a month later from new egg using the same link I verywell may never get another 6G that matches unless I troll the undergoung trading posts. Anyone that tells me different is wrong because that happened to me twice before once with xms and once with xms2. And if the answer is all dominators of same speed are compatible then you are either doing something right this time, or you are being smart as this is the case with my other 2 corsair memory purchases and like you said above about IC's either way I would like to know.

I was just dissapointed and the tech call I made today as he was really arguing 5 ways why I shouldnt even use this ram other than answer my question of is there another version of this ram that says 1.6 or other than 1.7 on the side. I just really hope I dont have problems with my dominators as I felt like I was on the debate team with the tech guy.

It came down to the simple fact if you tell people a part number has 1.6v in your pdf, it sucks to have 1.7 ones and i could have at least booted up this hardware to see if it works taking that whole week to assemble water cooling would have been nice but instead I argued with the tech guy and he couldnt see that point. If there was 1.6 on the side there wouldnt be any risk just seeing if my cpu and mobo booted, simple.

He couldnt answer this question either: If I put this in a p6t6 ws revoulution and a i7 920 the first time it boots will the memory boot at 1.7 volts like its printed on the side of the modules. If it does its not worth it if they dont I can test my system to see if it posts, nose around in bios, and then be satisfied my mobo and cpu arent doa and continue taking the week before my dominators come to assemble my new water cooling it could take days.

While I agree that the PDFs should mention that the voltage can change between versions, this memory isn't listed as being compatible with a Core i7 rig. While yes, they should work, they aren't a triple channel kit.

Guaranteed-Compatible Memory for your Asus P6T6 WS Revolution

Corsair Core i7 DDR3 Memory Solutions

As for 12 GB, did you buy a 12 GB kit, or two 6 GB kits? (see link above for part numbers). With the rare exception, all memory manufacturers use multiple ICs to make a part # line, and have version numbers. The triple kits are no exception.

You can definitely try running this memory in a core i7 rig for testing the WC. You can boot with these and the BIOS should default to 1.5v. Now worst case is that the memory won't have enough voltage to be stable, but you should be able to hit a low speed and at least get into the BIOS.

Note that there are ways to safely get the memory voltage to 1.7v without risking the memory controller. You just have to keep another voltage within 0.5v of it to be safe. QPI voltage I think, but don't quote me on that, do research!

Archived