Corsair Community

PowerMac G5 Quad DDR2 memory choice

iphil

ok, this may sound as old hardware guys... Still.

This machine was based on HyperTransport for the north bridge (IBM CPC945) to CPUs (2.5 GHz PowerPC 970), supporting 10 GB/s per dual-core processor, and the memory is based on a 128-bit wide DDR2 bus, with pairs of PC2-3200 or PC2-4300 DIMMs, unbuffered, could be ECC. The memory can be CL3, 4 or 5, and with 8 slots, 16 GB are supported.

Now that DDR2 in such timings is nearly vintage, I have trouble finding memory for this machine.

Though the bridge could in theory be programmed at very low level, I have no access to timings, so the configuraiton will be done from SPD information only. As I want to reach 16 GB total, CL3 does not seem to be an option (haven't seen any DIMM with CL 3 above 1 GB).

The bridge user manual (good 655 pages of PDF reading if anyone needs them) describes all the timings constraints. Do not hesitate to ask me. Apparently, the DIMMs must run at 1.8V, but this is Apple specific implementation, and not documented.

So.... which memory can I buy to get something like 4-4-4-12 or 4-4-4-15, at 1.8V, in 2 GB DIMM ??? On any other smarter choice ?

Please any help or advice will really be appreciated.

I just want the lowest latency memory that satisfies all constraints.

Archived