Corsair Community

Asus P5Q and TWIN2X4096-6400C5 RAM

Sebastian Mares

If you check the QVL List from ASUS it is not supported with 4 modules.

I have tried with 4 modules, and my Windows 2008 64-bit was stable for about 4 weeks. Then I unplugged a USB drive, and the machine ended with BSOD.

I'm now running with just 2 modules, and the system seems stable.

Glenn

That doesn't sound too good. :[pouts:

Problem is that I currently have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 that runs very unstable with a pair of the mentioned Corsairs and another pair of 2 x 1 GB A-DATA RAMs. I thought that getting an Asus P5Q would allow me to run the Corsairs that I have and an additional kit in order to have 8 GB. What I don't like most in your post is that you say it worked fine for some time. This is exactly the same problem I have with my Gigabyte and the current RAM constellation - it works fine for five or six hours and then most programs crash or I even get a BSOD. This is why debugging is highly time consuming. I tried increasing the voltages, decreasing the speed, increasing the speed, modifying the latencies manually, etc. - nothing worked.

I am going to see first how my new Asus mainboard works but currently it's on my desk since I am also waiting for a new video card. :)

But while we are at it, do you have any idea why Windows Vista keeps crashing randomly with bluescreens reading MEMORY_MANAGEMENT or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA while memtest+, the Windows memory diagnostic utility (the one you can call by pressing F8 before Vista boots) and Prime95 run for hours (tested each of them for around 12 hours) without problems? And yes, all programs saw 6 GB which is correct since I have the 4 GB Corsair at the moment + some additional 2 GB from another manufacturer. Sometimes Windows does not crash entirely with a BSOD, but programs or services do. Sometimes Windows Updates fail to install and when I look at the crash reports, it's a function that compares hashes that returns errors. Sometimes I download files from the Internet and when I attempt to open them, I get an error that the CRC does not match. Really weird. :bigeyes:

Yes, I fully understand that and this. As I said, what got me confused is that memtest+ and all other tools I tried don't report any problems while Windows Vista and Windows 7 both had random crashes.

Often this is the case when the memory controller (Northbridge) is being stressed. The memory can handle the speed, so passes memtest, but the memory controller is balking at the speed of a two module speed set to a four module capacity. You need to increase your memory controller voltage to 1.2v from the stock default of 1.1v. You might also have to drop the speed of the memory but you can try with just the increase of voltage to the memory controller.

You were requested to insert a system profile Here when you registered at this forum.

This is requested so that we know your system and can apply consideration uniquely. Please correct this error.

Archived