Corsair Community

MCH Voltage & Degredation?

casewindow

I posted and got quite a lot of info in this thread:

http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=77578

The upshot was that I seemed to be able to get my 4 sticks of RAM working at 1066mhz with an MCH voltage increase of +0.1v.

No games crashed for about 3 weeks then one day fallout 3 froze. However this was after I had been messing around with the fallout3.ini settings and made the game run slowly by ramping up the settings too much. I put the settings back and it froze again the next day.

So I put the MCH voltage upto +0.125v.

It seems fine now - plus I started playing Crysis again and that is fine.

I am wondering though whether I should have just put it up +0.2v as first suggested in the original thread?

I have purchased an Antec Spotcool which is blowing directly onto the MCH to keep it cool - though on a hot day it can still get upto 54C under load.

No, you are performing the better method. It will just take a bit longer to find the voltage sweet spot on the MCH. The X38/X48 chipsets run hot and I find the same thermals on this chipset when populating with four DRAM slots.

I am wondering though whether I should have just put it up +0.2v as first suggested in the original thread?

I have purchased an Antec Spotcool which is blowing directly onto the MCH to keep it cool - though on a hot day it can still get upto 54C under load.

Archived