System specs for HTPC

AMD|A64 X2 4850E 2.5G AM2 45 watt

ASUS M3A78-EM AM2+ 780G/SB700 RT

RAM ....?

HD 1T|WD 7K 32M SATA2 WD1001FALS

DVD BURN SAMSUNG|SH-S223Q LS

PSU Thermaltake Liberty 400 watt

Windows Vista Ultimate x86 32-bit

I would like to know what corsair ram would work with this motherboard setup.

if i could get part part numbers for dual channel sets of both 2 gig DDR2-800MHZ and 4 gig DDR2-800MHZ matched sets that would be great.

i would like to run at least 2 gig of ram as the on board graphics take 256mb of the available ram.

but i wouldnt mind 4 gigs. i know because of the version of Vista i am using not all 4 gigs would be available, but if the video takes 256mb anyway would that be before or after windows takes its 768 or so .

The QVL list for this mobo really doesn't list corsair very much, which surprises me since corsair seems to be more stable and compatible ram than others.

and if anyone could tell me if 4 gigs would be even needed. I figured with vista, the more the better.

I am only using this HTPC for video playback i dont see it being used for anything else.

Thank You

Ty for the quick response.

And for the links to the corsair compatibility modules. I looked those up before but i believe not all those are compatible with my CPU which is AM2 not AM2+

But i was also hoping that someone could tell me what would be better 4gig vs 2gig since my integrated video takes 256 mb and i am using Vista 32 bit.

Thank you

This all started because i wanted to use a 2gig kit i already had

CM2X1024-8500C5D

but when i tried to boot the computer wouldn't post

so i removed one DIMM and it posted fine, but ran the 1 DIMM as 800 mhz.

I tried manually adjusting the bios so it would use the 800mhz setting, hoping that then i could put the other stick of ram in and it would run both as 800mhz in dual channel, but it just resets the bios and then will not boot again.

Is there anyway to run this 2 gig set as 800 mhz as this Motherboard requires that in order to run 1066 you must have a AM2+ cpu.

if not i just replace them with 800mhz 2 or 4gig kit.

Thank you

Set your memory in slot one and slot two. Set to 800Mhz and 2.1v. I would use the 4GB set if you can make it work with that system.

This all started because i wanted to use a 2gig kit i already had

CM2X1024-8500C5D

but when i tried to boot the computer wouldn't post

so i removed one DIMM and it posted fine, but ran the 1 DIMM as 800 mhz.

I tried manually adjusting the bios so it would use the 800mhz setting, hoping that then i could put the other stick of ram in and it would run both as 800mhz in dual channel, but it just resets the bios and then will not boot again.

Is there anyway to run this 2 gig set as 800 mhz as this Motherboard requires that in order to run 1066 you must have a AM2+ cpu.

if not i just replace them with 800mhz 2 or 4gig kit.

Thank you

Ty for your reply Derek T.

Set your memory in slot one and slot two. Set to 800Mhz and 2.1v. I would use the 4GB set if you can make it work with that system.

I tried what you suggested with my CM2X1024-8500C5D ram and no matter if i put them in slot 1 and 2 which are slot 1 for each channel making them run dual channel....it won't boot.

It resets the bios so i went back in and set it for 800mhz and 2.1v again and tried both dim's in one channel only or slot 1 and slot 3. again it wouldn't boot and reset the bios.

guess i just cant use both sticks of ram with this board. They just refuse to run at 800 mhz together . funny cause most people complain these sticks wont run at 1066 rated speed and post at 800 mhz LOL. :bigeyes:

yes i think i will have to RMA the board as it will not run these 1066 mb modules as 800 mhz in dual channel. i am going to test with a true pair of 800mhz ram....but i'am getting the feeling that the board is at fault.

Not only will they not run in dual channel, they will not run as 2 gigs in the same channel.

I have used these 1066 ram modules before in the Intel system listed in my computer specs ....and they worked perfectly for over 6 months..but removed them to upgrade to 4 gigs....but some reason this new M3a78-EM AMD 780G board just will not boot with them.

OK.....figured it out

I must have been re trying the same stick, cuz i narrowed it down to one of the two that when inserted the system will not boot.

i put in 2 other sticks of corsair from a running system and the ASUS M3A78-EM ran fine.

I also tested the faulty 1066 module in another system and it did the same thing....wouldnt boot.

So i have a good motherboard and a bad CM2X1024-8500C5D ram module :[pouts:

• 8 months later...

Archived