Corsair Community

TX750W Powers down after 5 seconds

rodeltac

I have an obscure fault with a Corsair TX 750W power supply. With 4 hard drives connected start up and running is normal. But if I disconnect one hard drive and start up with 3 hard drives resulting in a lower power demand the power supply powers off after 5 seconds during start up. No further start attempts are then possible without switching off the mains supply for around 2 minutes. If I reconnect the forth hard drive all is normal again.

Does this power supply have a minimum load requirement?

Also an annoying characteristic of this power supply is that after the second or third intentional shut down further starts are not possible unless you switch off the mains for a couple of minutes.

• Corsair Employees
As long as the 24-pin connector is plugged into the motherboard, you should not have to worry about a min. load on the PSU. It sounds like there could be a short or a grounding issue somewhere. I would try to isolate the problem and see if its a particular hard drive causing the problem (test them one at a time), and also test with different SATA power connectors to make sure a certain connector on the PSU is not causing the problem. You may also try disconnecting the drives from the motherboard and see if you can still duplicate the issues.

• 8 months later...

I have now had the opportunity of testing the power supply with individual hard drives connected as well the motherboard on its own connected with just the 24 pin connector. The power supply will only work with four drives connected it will not power the power motherboard on it own or with any single drive. It will also not power another PC I have tried it on. However on the original PC with 4 hard drives connected start up and running is normal, apart from the abnormal characteristics of the Corsair Power Supply previously identified. This begs the question does the Power Supply have a memory of what load it is expecting and can this be reset?

I have bought a very cheap power supply which works perfectly in all the scenarios outlined, thus a short or a grounding issue within the PC are eliminated. A short or a grounding issue may of course exist within the Corsair Power Supply. So I am left with an extremely temperamental Corsair TX 750W Power Supply.

• 1 year later...

I know, that it's kinda old thread, but it may help someone. Today I've encountered the same issue. I tried to run i3 540 + H55N Usb3 + F1 320GB on TX750W and it failed to run, shut down after a few seconds. When 8800GT was installed, everything was fine. Fortunately, I still have small 180W SFX power supply, which works great with this rig without GPU.

I'm almost sure, that TX750W has a minimum load requirement.

Archived