Corsair Community

Help me Overclock

Looks rather fine to me. :D::D::D:

Test with 9-9-9-24 1N/2N--> 8-9-9-24 1N/2N and test lower subtimings. If you don't make CL8, which is most of the time, then 9-8-8-20 1N/2N--> 9-8-7-16 1N/2N.

It's more a good feel for the system, but when one is in such system as yours, it really doesn't matter unless it's a few points in benchmarks.

You're just pretty high up there :):

I ran the system for a longer period of time and after a few minutes I get a blue screen saying it is dumping memory and then the computer restarts and this repeats.

You are testing any memory changes with memtest?

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

When you make any changes to the memory timings, you are advised to run 2 full passes of memtest before you enter your OS lest corrupted data damage your OS.

You are testing any memory changes with memtest?

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

When you make any changes to the memory timings, you are advised to run 2 full passes of memtest before you enter your OS lest corrupted data damage your OS.

Yeah was looking at that...

I am still trying to understand the i7 965 how to over clock it at its best and to have my RAM work at what it was meant to work at @2000Mhz 7-8-7-20.

Yeah was looking at that...

I am still trying to understand the i7 965 how to over clock it at its best and to have my RAM work at what it was meant to work at @2000Mhz 7-8-7-20.

Set all values to stock. Set the memory to XMP and then test the memory. Once you have completed that, go to your multiplier and raise it incrementally testing your stability. You will have to raise your CPU Core voltage sooner or later but i assume you know all that anyway.

Set all values to stock. Set the memory to XMP and then test the memory. Once you have completed that, go to your multiplier and raise it to 27 which gives you ~3.6GHz. You might have to raise your CPU core voltage a bit. I need 1.38 for 3.8Ghz but some need a bit more and some a bit less.

I updated the BIOS and load the XMP Profile #1 which is the only one I can select which does bring the option that it is suppose to run at and when I do that I power it down and then it powers back up it freezes in black window. I will try it again when I get home today without touching anything.

If I load the XMP Profile #1 I don't have to touch anything even with the i7 965?

The XMP profile is a memory profile which will allow you to set to the programmed XMP values regarding the memory. The overclocking of the CPU with your machine can be basically separated from the memory via the unlocked multiplier. Find your memory stability and then increase the multiplier applying voltages and setting values for the CPU overclock as necessary. Be sure to update to the newest BIOS, then load setup defaults, save setup defaults and begin.

I updated the BIOS and load the XMP Profile #1 which is the only one I can select which does bring the option that it is suppose to run at and when I do that I power it down and then it powers back up it freezes in black window. I will try it again when I get home today without touching anything.

If I load the XMP Profile #1 I don't have to touch anything even with the i7 965?

The XMP profile is a memory profile which will allow you to set to the programmed XMP values regarding the memory. The overclocking of the CPU with your machine can be basically separated from the memory via the unlocked multiplier. Find your memory stability and then increase the multiplier applying voltages and setting values for the CPU overclock as necessary. Be sure to update to the newest BIOS, then load setup defaults, save setup defaults and begin.

So if I load the XMP Profile #1 it should be able to boot up with out me changing the i7 from 3.20GHz?

Yes, that is correct.

Yeah I tried that and what happens it powers down and powers back up and it gets stuck with a black screen when its about to show the Republic of Gamers logo it shows the Press DEL to enter set up and it freezes there and I have to CLEAR CMOS in order to boot it back up. The LCD Poster checks the DRAM and the CPU and it goes to VGA BIOS and that is where it gets stuck.

Just stays at the VGA BIOS and I can keep hitting restart button or power it down and same thing till I clear the CMOS.

Well, you can choose to set manually or you can RMA the mainboard.

Yeah I tried that and what happens it powers down and powers back up and it gets stuck with a black screen when its about to show the Republic of Gamers logo it shows the Press DEL to enter set up and it freezes there and I have to CLEAR CMOS in order to boot it back up. The LCD Poster checks the DRAM and the CPU and it goes to VGA BIOS and that is where it gets stuck.

Just stays at the VGA BIOS and I can keep hitting restart button or power it down and same thing till I clear the CMOS.

That looks very fast to me. Are you going to try to OC the CPU some now or leave it at stock?

Yes I am going to OC the CPU; I am going to try for 5.0GHz but will see; I am happy that I got the RAM to work now just making sure it is stable now.

You won't do 5GHZ on water or air cooling. You'd be lucky to do it on LN2. What cooling are you using?

The goal is 5.0GHz; probably wont get it there but Id be happy with 4.0GHz and to have the RAM working at 7-8-7-20 @2000Mhz. I am going to invest a bit more on upgrading the cooling its currently liquid/air cooling.

Thank you all for your inputs and keep them coming. Also if you have any inputs on how to best OC the 965 CPU.

I am still doing a lot of reading and researching.

• 4 weeks later...
you should be able to get quite a bit better than me since im on the 920 on air. Image of cpu-z enclosed. havent tried messing with the memory cause im not sure how to go about doing it, good luck!

screenshot.thumb.jpg.806340b01d4189e463ba6a04006dec26.jpg

Archived