Corsair Community

Asus P5N32-E SLI & TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX Memory Issue

Mr Bill

Hi, Having issues with my Asus P5N32-E SLI & TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX playing together. I don't overclock, just want it to work. Did have two pair of TWIN2X2048-6400C4 loaded, at 2.1V, 667MHZ and was having all kinds of boot issues - either system would POST but not boot, not POST at all, very sporadic with no real rhythm or reason when it would/wouldn't work.

Went ahead and updated to the TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX Kit (two sticks) last week. Set to 2.1V/ & default of 800mhz. Reset CMOS, could not get system to work in either pair of slots, so testing with just one stick. Seems like one stick would work, but then I would either do a cold or hot boot, then nothing - no post, no access to BIOS.

Would move stick another slot, it would POST, & boot, but when I'd shut down, I'd have nothing again. I'd move the stick to another slot, it would work & just repeat this scenario again. Had it once I was able to do a hot boot, numerous times, but once I'd shut down and start, I'd get no POST. I've done this with both sticks individually. I did change voltage to 2.0v, If that's helped or not I'm not sure. Currently running Memtest86 v3.5 on the standard test when it loads, & I'm currently on the 3rd pass with no errors - going to let it run for a couple more hours before I see what I can do with the 2nd stick installed along with the 1st stick.

One side of me thinks I've a bad motherboard, the other side thinks this board is just really touchy & everything has to be just right. I don't think I have bad memory, as I've had pretty much the same type of results with testing 3 pair of memory modules

I have two identical Video cards which I've swapped to each pcie slot as pair and individually, and that has had no affect on what's going on with my system

Any setup which could give me a shot for this thing to be stable would be greatly appreciated. I don't overclock - just looking for a stable platform

Thanks!

I have the Memtest86+ v2.11 running now with one stick of memory. I did run both sticks of my memory separately for over 8 hours with the prior version of memtest86. No errors. As soon as as I put both sticks in and booted the system, memtest would run for only about 3-5 seconds then system would boot. No errors would show on memtest86, just a system boot.

How long do I need to run Memtest86+ v2.11 to get decent validation that memory is acceptable?

Unfortunately, I've no other system to validate the memory on. However I do have two pair of TWIN2X2048-6400C4 which pretty much behaves the same way....

Oh, I forgot to mention it in my original post, but I'm running the latest BIOS - 1701

Thanks

I've ran each stick individually for 3 passes with 0 Errors. I then tried to run both sticks in single or dual channel mode, and only once was I able to get past the POST & into Memtest86+ v2.11. Then it froze after 3 minutes into the pass. Did not show an error, the app just froze. It will not run two sticks of memory at 2.1V.

I did throw my old pair of memory in, the TWIN2X2048-6400C4, and it did start once & I could run memtest86+ to run, but upon rebooting I could not get my system to POST again.

I was running 2 pair of this memory at 2.1V, 667mhz for a number of months with no issues, then I started to get all of these issues of not being able to POST. Can't help but think something is giving out on my motherboard

Thanks

• Corsair Employees

Mr. Bill,

If you are getting the same results with all of the modules when testing them one at a time and still have these symptoms when you have more then one module or more than one set installed I would get the MB checked or maybe the CPU, but testing the memory on another system would be a good place to start.

Thanks RAM GUY

Wish I had all these parts to swap out but I don't. My MOBO is still under warranty & I did talk to ASUS tech support - he seems to think it's the memory controller. Working on getting an RMA but their system is down (go figure).

I just bought this memory a couple of weeks ago from Newegg. Any chance I can RMA it back to Corsair and have Corsair test it?

Guess my thought is if I have to sink more money into this just to troubleshoot, I may as well just bite the bullet & upgrade to an i7 configuration and just eat the cost of the new memory.....

Thanks again and will add to this post when I get my MOBO back

Bill

Yeah I don't know anybody who has a system I can test them on. Guess my thought is if this pair of memory is bad - whats to say the next pair may or may not be bad also......

I'll just wait till my mobo gets back - if I still have an issue, I'll RMA them then.

Thanks

Archived