Corsair Community

New build keeps freezing

pt.austin

Hi all,

I've just put a system together (8 GB RAM) as my old one was getting a bit tired. every (with 1 exception) time i try to play L4D i get a warning telling me that my GFX drivers are out of date and it could cause problems, if i carry on it freezes (at the options menu). Yes i've uninsatalled the drivers, rebooted in safe mode, used driver cleaner and CCleaner. rebooted and installed the new drivers 9.4. it still freezes.

I've tried the autoconfig option for launch options in the game and that works half the time... but not always.

I've tried running the memory test with vista and no problems are found.

I've tried running my ram at 1066, 1333 and 1600 but nothing seems to eliminate the freezing problem completely.

I'm not ssaying it's my memory at fault but i'd like to know in your considered opinions (:D:) what you think?

PS. I'm no overclocker or system wizzard - i just want to surf the web and play L4D, TF2 (which also freezes, though not as much) and my first love... counterstrike source (runs fine!?!).

Many thanks in anticipation... Pete

Sounds like a driver problem.

I just installed the new ATI 9.4 drivers as well. They are working great on my machine.

I have L4D as well. I will check it out and follow up.

I don't think 8GB is overkill for a Vista 64bit system and with ATI video care you will be able to benefit from Direct X 11 which should be out soon. Direct X 11 is going to optimize system memory for advanced 3d physics performance.

It will be interesting to see how video game devlopers implement the direct X 11 technology into their games.

8 GB is overkill for gaming.

Pull 2 of the 4 sticks, see what happens.

OK...

I've just pulled 2 sticks out and it ran with no problems:bigeyes:.

It's early days of course!

Why would/ should that make a difference!?! and why does my motherboard boast that it could take 20 gigs of RAM when it won't run stable on 8 :evil:??

Possible that 1 stick is a duffer??

I'll keep you posted if it starts playing up again.

Thanks.. Pete

OK...

I've just pulled 2 sticks out and it ran with no problems:bigeyes:.

It's early days of course!

Why would/ should that make a difference!?! and why does my motherboard boast that it could take 20 gigs of RAM when it won't run stable on 8 :evil:??

Possible that 1 stick is a duffer??

I'll keep you posted if it starts playing up again.

Thanks.. Pete

ATI 9.4 drivers are giving me problems with L4D also. :(

Right after the opening scene it freezes and I have to push the power button for about 5 seconds to reboot.

To bad you can't run 8gb of RAM. Doesn't seem like it should be a problem.

Technology sucks.

Archived